How to read data from a touch panel?

nwong

Hi there,

I am a new learner in PLC programming and I need help in making the following works.

What I need to do is to read a 3 digit decimal number, say '123' (a 16 bits word) from a touch panel into an address inside an Allen Bradley PLC processor (say N7:10).

According to the user manual of the touch panel, a trigger bit/address has to be given to the touch panel by the PLC processor and then the value entered through the keypad on the touch panel will be read into the given address at the PLC processor. The example given by the manual is 'M0080' but obviously, it is not a valid address for Allen Bradley's PLC processor.

I read through the PLC processor manual but it has not got information about the trigger bit. Just wondering is there anybody can help me out.

Many thanks!

Norris

I dont know what type of touch screen you use but most of them have internal memorey or PLC memory.you need to chose PLC memory.
If you configur the screen to work with AB you need to get the correct
address who valid for AB.
See attached picture.That for Hakko touch screen.

hakko.jpg

Hi ArikBY,

It is a Proface GP500 series touch screen and I am using the GP-PRO/PB software from Proface.

It doesn't give you the option to select 'Internal Memory' or 'PLC Memory'. It only asks you to input the word address and trigger address.

Any suggestion/idea that I can try?

Regards,

Norris

Sorry I didnot had the pleasure to meet with this type of touch screens.

But
It seems that your screen is not so sophisticated.But do you have the option to chose PLC type?
Pay attention some time in those screens the address format is not exactly like the original.

Hope I helped with something.

nwong said:
Hi ArikBY,

It is a Proface GP500 series touch screen and I am using the GP-PRO/PB software from Proface.

It doesn't give you the option to select 'Internal Memory' or 'PLC Memory'. It only asks you to input the word address and trigger address.

Any suggestion/idea that I can try?

Regards,

Norris
sent me your E-mail to [email protected] i think i have something that may help you.

Your kind of answering your own question.
The trigger bit that you choose, when on will allow touch key input
from your keypad "k" tag.
When you set up your "K" tag, you need to set up a trigger bit and a word address. The word address is the address thats going to store the value that you typed in with the key pad.

The K tag will display your numeric input from your keypad only after
you have turned on the trigger bit.

Tim
BTW, you are using a K tag to display your value typed in from your keypad?

Last edited: