You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old December 7th, 2017, 07:21 AM   #16
AustralIan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Most of the UK power is generated and disturbed. By PPL UK
Is "most" the imperial equivalent of a metric "some"?

http://www.energynetworks.org/info/f...ution-map.html
- Just number 7

:-p
Old December 7th, 2017, 08:55 AM   #17
Jonnie_R
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
By the way I just had to through this out there
Most of the UK power is generated and disturbed. By PPL UK a homely owned company of PPL Global an US Base company headquartered here in Pennsylvania
That's probably the part that stays working

Western Power Distribution do no generation of their own. They cover a lot of rural areas so more often than not it's their distribution network that gets affected, and is not working
Old December 7th, 2017, 08:58 AM   #18
Andybr
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustralIan View Post
Is "most" the imperial equivalent of a metric "some"?

http://www.energynetworks.org/info/f...ution-map.html
- Just number 7

:-p
Even that is misleading as the map does not include the Grid or Generation.
“What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”–what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!”

Robert Heinlein.
Old December 7th, 2017, 09:38 AM   #19
shooter
Netherlands

Dirt, the wiring is not wrong, hoever the generator was turned the other way, so the direction is also ther way, solution is simple cross over, and outside in air it is conveniant to do.
In europe it is done a lot, in HT lines, most probably to avoid tension in the masts.
Paul Deelen
J. Wassenaerstraat 29
NL 5224 GG 's-Hertogenbosch
+31653300739
Old December 7th, 2017, 09:53 AM   #20
kwade
United States

Quote:
Most of the UK power is generated and disturbed. By PPL UK a homely owned company of PPL Global an US Base company headquartered here in Pennsylvania
I am glad that the power is disturbed!
Old December 7th, 2017, 10:42 AM   #21
Dirt
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter View Post
Dirt, the wiring is not wrong, hoever the generator was turned the other way, so the direction is also ther way, solution is simple cross over, and outside in air it is conveniant to do.
In europe it is done a lot, in HT lines, most probably to avoid tension in the masts.
I agree it's not wrong per se. But during engineering/building, the cross-over could have been avoided. It definitely is avoided at the other 2 reactors at the site. It is viewed as a little screw-up at the site.
Old December 7th, 2017, 03:34 PM   #22
the_msp
Lifetime Supporting Member
United Kingdom

I did a phase-loss monitoring project during my NC, using a phase loss relay. Unbeknown to me, it also covered wrong phase direction, so when I had tested it 70 miles from tech it worked fine but when I got there it was in constant error. The tutor explained that the power at the tech that came from West Belfast was the opposite phase to the rest of the country.

Patrick

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMatrixEngineering
Old December 7th, 2017, 03:49 PM   #23
jraef
United States

Quote:
PG&E, the largest utility in the West, is all A-C-B rotation. The only time it matters is when you buy a Phase Monitor Relay or some piece of 3 phase electronics that was poorly designed and must see A-B-C rotation. I've run across a couple, that's why I know.
Old December 7th, 2017, 04:04 PM   #24
g.mccormick
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraef View Post
PG&E, the largest utility in the West, is all A-C-B rotation. The only time it matters is when you buy a Phase Monitor Relay or some piece of 3 phase electronics that was poorly designed and must see A-B-C rotation. I've run across a couple, that's why I know.

I get confused on this, but isn't it relative as far as the producer is concerned?
Old December 7th, 2017, 04:36 PM   #25
OkiePC
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

I used to work with a guy who came in the break room and plopped down after working his tail off most of the shift. He was complaining about his luck with motor direction:

"You would think I would have gotten one of them right the first try. Out of the six motors I have replaced tonight, with a 1 in 3 chance, they were all backwards."

I had to correct him "You actually have a 50/50 chance of getting it right...your luck is worse than you calculated."

He quickly replied, "No, it's 1 in 3 odds, forward, reverse, or not at all like that last one I get to replace AGAIN after break."
Old December 8th, 2017, 08:14 PM   #26
ganutenator
United States

the 50/50 90 rule. Learned this in Nuke school in the Navy. It goes: anytime there is a 50% chance. there is a 90% chance that you will pick the wrong one.

In real life, actually worked in places where they used colored wires and everything was phased the same. you just had to look at the motor placement to figure out which way you wanted it to spin, and hook the wires up accordingly.
Old December 9th, 2017, 04:23 AM   #27
Ronnie Sullivan
United Kingdom

The record stands at 7
Yesterday I connected another motor and it went the right way.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum