Studio5K and Controller Tags..

Nova5

I any other program I've delt with simply typing a tag name into a XIO/XIC/OTE/etc and right click, create tag.. creates it as a controller tag.

It this program I'm dealing with which is a template designed by another.. doing the above does NOT let me create a controller tag.. Only Local, Input, Output, InOut, Public..

WHat gives? Is there some option set in this program for that?

Making a wild guess--that sounds like the parameters for tags you get when configuring an AOI. Also, there is a drop down as you know that will let you choose the scope of where the tag will go--either in Program, or in the main PLC usually it's part of the name of the controller. Like mine for instance will say program or Ford_DDL for example. The last one is the controller. Hope this helps.

Try changing the "Scope" drop-down selection to the controller name before selecting "Usage."

yea that works.. but what the heck did he to do make it default to program level tags instead of controller level? I'd rather avoid having to do that for every tag I need to create.

Hey, glad you got it working. I just remembered something that came to mind when I looked at your last reply. The tag scope will default to the scope of the last tag that was made. So if a program tag was made, then it will default to program for the next tag that is configured, and vice versa. I never use program tags unless a customer requests them in their specs, and one hasn't yet in any of the program I've written. I have a function block routine in a lot of my programs for scaling, and if you just insert a scale block on the sheet, it will become a program tag. I always click program tags a few times while I'm writing a program to see that there are none. Hope this helps.