Siemens S7 300

rocket1010

I have a new S7 317 DP CPU but do not have this in my hardware list? I have 316 and 318 but no 317, anyone help me to add this to the hardware catalog?

Thanks

What you have to do depens on Step7 version you have. Version 5.2 or above gives you ability to update hardware catalog online. Previous versions can be updated by downloading special hsp file from Siemens website.

Firs download and install Service Pack 1 for Step 7 V5.2 from Siemens
http://support.automation.siemens.c...g=en&siteid=cseus&aktprim=0&extranet=standard
entry ID: 16540057
then download and install Hotfix for Step 7 V5.2+SP1, entry ID 17545812.
If CPU is still not present in hardware catalog then open HW Config and select Options>Install HW Updates. In the new window select "Download from Internet" and Execute. CPU will appear in the downloads list. Then select it to install.

I am afraid that it is not possible to download a HW update with the 317 for STEP7 v5.2

I think that you can only install updates for PLCs and modules that are allready available in the HW catalog. If the PLC or module was not known to STEP7 allready, then an update for it cannot be installed.
Sometimes, there is a servicepack available for STEP7. When you install the SP you typically also get a number of new PLCs and modules installed in the HW catalog. From then on you can install updates for these.
I am almost certain that it is so, but I wouldnt mind to be proved wrong :)

STEP7 v5.2 is probably too old to have the 317. Check if you have the latest service pack.
If this doesnt give you a 317 in the HW catalog, then an upgrade of STEP7 is your only way.

JesperMP...
Unfortunatelly you're wrong.
"Install HW Updates..." option gives you ability not only to update existing modules, but to extend catalog with new products. Try it...
You don't need newest version of Step7 if its only extension is bigger HW catalog.

gregoryg said:
Unfortunatelly you're wrong.
Ha ha, I guess you mean fortunately in stead of unfortunately.
I once did try to install a HW update for a CPU that was not allready in the HW catalog. I couldnt do it, only after I installed a service pack. Since you can do it, you must be right.
I am glad that you put me straight on this.
Dont know what went wrong for me back then.

Info on CD

I also had no luck in using the hardware update tool. I ended up ordering the CD from Siemens (s79220-A6656-F000-01)

It is called Step 7 Professional, Edition 12/2002, Release 07/2003.

This contains the upgrades, hotfixes and GSD files you are looking for.

Hope it helps.

:D

DDV said:
I also had no luck in using the hardware update tool. I ended up ordering the CD from Siemens (s79220-A6656-F000-01)
It is called Step 7 Professional, Edition 12/2002, Release 07/2003.
This contains the upgrades, hotfixes and GSD files you are looking for.
just a little warning about that order number.
You cannot use an update for STEP7 PRO on a STEP7 BASIS.
The executable files expect that there is a PRO license and not a basis license. I once installed STEP7 PRO over a STEP7 BASIS because I figured that it didnt matter as I would not use the PRO extensions (GRAPH, SCL and SIM). But no, it complained that there was no PRO license and I had to deinstall the whole thing.
(Now, I hope that I got it right this time.)

Jesper, according to my knowledge you are 100% correct. The cd has a facility to only install some components however. I had to re install my license after the update, but at least I could add the 317 from the hardware list.

Rocket, ensure that your licensing is in order before doing the update, as per Jesper’s advice.

quick update

i downloaded sp1 + HF3 it would not work, followed gregoryg'g instructions and downloaded SP1 first and then the HF3 and everything works perfectly!

Thanks for the input everyone!