FactoryTalk View SE with VBA code

gcurtis

Hi all,

First time poster.

I am having some issues getting some VBA code to copy over to FactoryTalk in hopes of displaying a screen for a vision system on the HMI. I have the code that works fine in Visual Studio, but I am not sure what steps need to be taken to get it to initialize the connection and launch on my HMI using FactoryTalk. I will paste my current code at the bottom, and any insight on what steps need to be followed for this to work in FactoryTalk is much apprecitated.

Thanks in advance.

PublicClass Form1
PrivateSub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) HandlesMyBase.Load
EndSub
PrivateSub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) HandlesMyBase.Load
Dim state AsLong

state = VWXG.Initialize()
VWXG.Address = "192.168.0.10"
VWXG.Port = 8502
state = VWXG.Connect()
state = VWXG.StartRemoteDesktop(0)

EndSub
End
Class

If not the ability to tell me what is missing, does anyone have an example of VBA code in a FactoryTalk display?

OK. A couple of general questions. I wouldn't call myself a VB/VBA expert, but I've done a lot of VBA programming in SE. But there is still much more to learn.

What Visual Studio are you using. VBA in SE most closely resembles VB6, NOT VB.NET. Also I don't think you can use forms in SE. I'm not sure at the moment that you can't but the way SE works, even if you could use forms, I wouldn't. the container for VBA code in SE are the displays.

How would a display replace a form in this case? Do you have any sample code that you could show?

Thanks.

OK. Let's go back to the beginning. This vision system, what do you wnat to dispaly in SE? Just the data from it, or the actual pictures? Do they provide some sort of OCX to do this?

OK. A couple of general questions. I wouldn't call myself a VB/VBA expert, but I've done a lot of VBA programming in SE. But there is still much more to learn.

What Visual Studio are you using. VBA in SE most closely resembles VB6, NOT VB.NET. Also I don't think you can use forms in SE. I'm not sure at the moment that you can't but the way SE works, even if you could use forms, I wouldn't. the container for VBA code in SE are the displays.

You can use forms in SE, although I strongly suggest that you do not if at all possible, as SE handles memory extremely poorly by itself, and many times worse with VBA forms. That said, forms do work, and even support ActiveX containers, I generally use them for the display of reports from CrystalReports.

And correct, VBA != VB.net They are completely different.

Thank you for the responses. Once you mentioned not using forms, it all became much easier for me to figure out. Just so you guys can see, this was the code that ended up working. The VB6 was the way to go as well.

Private Sub Display_Load()
Dim state As Long
state = VWXG.Initialize()
VWXG.Address = "150.150.150.5"
VWXG.Port = 8502
state = VWXG.Connect()
state = VWXG.StartRemoteDesktop(0)
End Sub