Ethernet PLC to Serial Radio

jfritz8

I have an 1769-L33ER and a Transnet 900 serial radio. The L33ER does not have a serial port on it, so I am trying to use a MOXA MGate 3170 to convert from ethernet to serial and talk to the radio. I can't seem to get the correct configuration in the MOXA convertor and was wondering if anyone has tried something similar.

What protocol are you trying to use?

Ethernet/IP will not work like this.

The MGate will listen on a particular TCP port for a connection and then transmit that stream of data out to the serial port. This really only works well for protocols which are simply encapsulated in a TCP/IP header, like modbus.

I would suggest using a true Ethernet radio, like the Schneider Q or J series.

I was trying to use ethernet/ip. Unfortunately we are adding radios/plc's to an existing system, so using ethernet radios are not an option. What we've done in the past is use a micro1100 as kind of a pass through for the radio. The only other thing I've looked at is using a 1769-ASCII module but I have never used one.

Converting/bridging serial to Ethernet is simple and there are several devices out there to do that. Ethernet to serial is a very different animal and much more difficult to do. You’re going to find that using the MicroLogix 1100 is a good straight forward way to achieve the main goal. Technically you won’t be bridging Ethernet to serial but you will be able to get the needed data from one end to the other I.E. the MicroLogix 1100 can communicate via Ethernet to the L33ER and via DF1 to the existing serial network.

You can also get yourself a 1734-AENT PointIO Adapter and put a 1734-232ASC card on it, or as many 1734-232ASC cards as you want. I've done this for both serial applications far from the PLC, as well as general serial applications with an L33ER. It might be a little expensive, but it's easy and works.

I have an 1769-L33ER and a Transnet 900 serial radio.

I'm not sure that we know what you actually want to do with the radio yet.

Is this CompactLogix at a remote site and you are trying to retrieve data from it with a SCADA system over the radio ?

Are you also trying to "go online" with the CompactLogix over that same radio link ?

Or is the CompactLogix a "master" device that needs to connect to remote devices like other CompactLogix or other PLCs over the radio ?

Ken has some valid questions that need to be answered.

If you are just trying to retrieve data I would buy a cheap red lion datastation and convert to modbus.

maybe a better solution is to install an Mds Inet master, connect the master transnet to the serial port on the inet master, then have 2 separate radio networks. ethernet via inet and serial via the transnet

Ken,

I just realized I never responded to your post and I apologize. We are adding remote sites that are communicating to the master radio via DF1 Radio Modem then using that information to show on SCADA. We are not trying to go online with it over radio, the master PLC is a SLC 5/05 the compactlogix is a remote.

Is it too late to just buy a L32E or L35E? With a real, honest, DF1 Radio Modem capable serial port? Much less messy than any other method I can think of. ML1100 as a gateway would be okay but not ideal. The key here is that you're not talking to the radio - you're talking to the other PLC's on the "network". The radio can be treated like a black box or a big length of wire once it's setup.

Last edited: