studio 5000 role back a revision of a program

rscott9399

So say i wrote a program im studio 31 and i hand it to a customer that has a cpu with firmware 30

Can the program be rolled back?

I know for a fact you cant role back the firmware of the cpu.

But can you roll back your program to an earlier version?

Thanks

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but I'm not aware of a reason why you wouldn't be able to roll back firmware versions provided the CPU supports the version you are trying to install. If it does support the different versions you should be able to change it back and forth at will. The same applies to your project file unless you've used a feature that wasn't available in the earlier version you are trying to revert it back to.

As Beethoven correctly stated, you can roll back the firmware as long as the CPU was supported in that version.

In Studio/RSLogix do the following:
  1. Use File, Save As and change the File Type to .L5K
  2. Open the .L5K file in a text editor
  3. Look for the line near the top that says IE_VER and note the number
  4. Subtract 1 for each version to roll back
  5. Save the File
  6. Open the file in Logix/Studio and select the version to import it as

For example, a file created in v30 has IE_VER := 2.21. To roll it back to import as v28, change that field to 2.19.

Bear in mind that if you use a feature that is not compatible with the older version, it may fail to import.

OG

Here is a video showing the process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUwooesRtvU

Thanks guys

I just have no clue what firmware will be on the customers hardware. And im writing the program in the latest. I just want to make sure when we submit this and if they dont want to upgrade the firmware on there cpu they can roll the program back

Thanks!

As long as its not a 5069 Guardlogix processor you shouldn't have any problem. The other method is to export and import from one version to another but it takes longer.

I have spent 2 hours on the phone with rockwell
They are telling me this is absolutley not possible now
typical rockwell ****

This revision firmware software version force me to update **** is ridiculous
This is expressly why i continue to sell my customers Siemens.

Its compact logix
I go back and forth between L36 and L33

I just tried to do a roll back with rockwell on the phone and all they confirmed its not possible anymore.

There is some problem with .net framework

When you try and do the import .net has a problem

The tech from Rockwell specifically just said they are removing this feature to prevent people from using older versions of the software. Most likely so they can sell more stuff

Last edited:
It can be converted but, I know there is always a but.
Because the newer revisions have added some functions and features that are not supported in the older versions.
I have done this a few times when a client supplied information for the PLC they already have and planning on using was either wrong or older version.
Open you program in studio 5000 just like you normally would.
Make a backup copy of you program.
Then under the configuration screen change the processor type to the correct version.
You will get a popup screen warning you of the change.
Then go ahead and allow the Logix software to make the change.
It will have to change several things and it will take a minute or 2
I will display a list of errors or incompatibilities if any.
You will have to deal with fixing the errors or incompatibilities if any.

If you find it doesn’t work you still have you original backed up program.
You may want to upgrade the processor firmware to the latest for the processor if you are allowed to.
I have had clients what would only allow older rev’s because they wanted to maintain access to the program without having to upgrade their software.

The problem is trying to maintain to programs

If i cant go back and forth i have to maintain to separate programs

Last edited:
Yeah, you should just open the properties of your program and change from v31 to v30, but you need to make sure you have that version installed on your laptop. It's probably best to have separate programs (one for each version), that way once your customer figures out which firmware they are using, you can select the right one.

if you just want to maintain the current programs in the Logix processor and you have more than one processor with different version then you will need an activation for the most current version

Download the Logix5000 or Studio 5000 to support versions of the processors you have
Ver 30 through 32 or latest are separate programs that you can download for each
Ver below are just upgrades but must be loaded for each version you want to support
you do not need to change the ladder version it must still match the firmware in the processor. I think you will confuse yourself if you try to keep changing the version all the time at some point you will mess up both and not be able to us either one.

rscott9399,

Yes, it can be done. Not a simple button push, but a small effort in cut-and-paste, can achieve it.

Jstolorauk offered his efforts “send it to me, I'll do it for you”. (Thank you)

All software continuously improves, while discovering inefficiencies, and mistakes of the past. Formerly, all software programs were written to be 100% backwardly compatible. This meant that after 20 years of bad mistakes had to be still supported in the current overall program.

I applaud Rockwell for abandoning the “one-size-fits-all”, “backward-compatible”. My customers do not need their 2018 project to carry the overweight baggage of all of their systems integrators old projects.

We understand the strategies that Rockwell Automation is using in the here-and-now, and weigh these carefully, prior to hopping up and down versions. We, as machine OEM will stay at a static firmware level until new hardware requires the up-step to a higher firmware level.

Most recently, we launched a L83S. Rev 31 only. There is NO way Logix 20.01 could see this far into the future. There is no way this project should shoulder 29 past revisions for merely Integrator Convenience.

Not trying to be negative, conversely, would encourage for all to accept technology changes as a path to future improvements.

Coincidence, today we launched a new machine with brand new products off-the-shelf that did not exist a few software versions ago. It did slow us down a few minutes, but our strategy was not to get agitated and gruff with our vendor, but called tech support, and they worked with us for a few minutes over the phone, and got us to resolve in short order. Shout out to all of the

Technical Support professionals at Rockwell Automation in all platforms, (Software, Large Systems, Small Systems, Networks, Software, Drives), we appreciate all of your help and patience with the gazzilion different application scenarios, and help to resolve. Today, Colton helped up in a few minutes to resolve. Thank You Colton 😊.

Best regards.

Plastic

I have found my solution

It did not involve a roll back.

Thanks for all of those with constructive answers

Last edited: