Vista and RS Logix 500 starter and RS Linx Lite

Skiroy

Hey guys Does anyone know if the free RS Logix 500 starter version and RS Linkx Lite work with Vista yet? I have read forums up to 2011 september but it seems that there were still issues.

I ideally want to install a OS that will run PLC-2 software which is compatiable with 98se,2000,XP and Vista. I also want to RS Logix 500 starter and RS Linx Lite to program my Micrologix 1000.

I have a Dell Labtop with Home Vista on it. I have tried to downgrade to XP with no success. It wouldnt let me. I dont know if its a driver thing but I was told I can upgrade to Windows 7. But as far as I know PLC-2 software is not Windows 7 compatiable nor is RS Logix.

The easiest thing would be to leave Vista on it and make RS Logix starter and RS Linx work with vista.

Does RS Logix 500 and Linx Lite work fine with XP Pro?

PLC-2 software was DOS based, not Windows. It might run in a DOS window, or in a DOS emulator, but it was NEVER designed for ANY version of Windows.

Many people use a variety of virtual machine products or DOS emulators to run older software on newer computers.

RSLogix 500 added full Windows 7 support (32/64-bit) with version 8.40 which released a little over a year ago. Version 9.0 is the current version. Vista was officially supported in version 8.0 (released in 2008) and required a minimum of RSLinx 2.53. RSLinx Classic is currently at version 2.59.1

OG

Last edited:
For what it is worth, I never had any trouble running rslinx lite 2.57, micro starter, and rsemulate 500 on vista. Nor did I have any trouble when I upgraded to a new PC with windows 7 home premium (64-bit).

Every once in a while, if I'm running the emulator and communicating over virtual serial cable pair with vb 2010 (AdvancedHMI), then the emulator will crash when I close the vb app. But, for free software, it all works together amazingly well.

HTH

Cheers,
Dustin

🍻

For what it is worth, I never had any trouble running rslinx lite 2.57, micro starter, and rsemulate 500 on vista. Nor did I have any trouble when I upgraded to a new PC with windows 7 home premium (64-bit).

Every once in a while, if I'm running the emulator and communicating over virtual serial cable pair with vb 2010 (AdvancedHMI), then the emulator will crash when I close the vb app. But, for free software, it all works together amazingly well.

HTH

Cheers,
Dustin

🍻

What version of Vista were you running? And what is rsemulate 500 ?

PLC-2 software was DOS based, not Windows. It might run in a DOS window, or in a DOS emulator, but it was NEVER designed for ANY version of Windows.

Many people use a variety of virtual machine products or DOS emulators to run older software on newer computers.

RSLogix 500 added full Windows 7 support (32/64-bit) with version 8.40 which released a little over a year ago. Version 9.0 is the current version. Vista was officially supported in version 8.0 (released in 2008) and required a minimum of RSLinx 2.53. RSLinx Classic is currently at version 2.59.1

OG

Well then I assume the PLC-2 software cable combo offered here
http://plc2software.com/products.html

Is not the original software from AB and is a third party version rewritten to work with a non DOs based system. Because it states it can be used with Xp,98 or Vista.

Secondly is the version updates such as RS Logix 8.40 and RSLinx Classic 2.53 offered as free versions or is the RS Linx and RS 500 Lite version offered for free only in one version and thats it?

Thankx

Secondly is the version updates such as RS Logix 8.40 and RSLinx Classic 2.53 offered as free versions or is the RS Linx and RS 500 Lite version offered for free only in one version and thats it?

No 8.40 is not the free version, but I have sold trainers to people that have been running Vista and not had to many issues with it

Why don't you just upgrade to Windows 7 (pro) then you can use a VM to run XP if needed OR just install everything on your Vista machine and see if it will run

The "software" included is likely the USB driver software to allow Windows to recognize it. It is NOT the PLC-2 software itself. Read carefully. They never said the PLC-2 software was included. They said the cable and included software works with Windows.

I would clarify with the vendor.

Why would you even want PLC-2 software anyways?

OG

Another question. Alot of employment ads specify experience in Micrologix and SLC 500 PLC program. But doesnt both Micrologix and SLC 500 PLCs utilize the same programing? Another words you can use RS Logix 500 or Control Logix for either one correct? And the programming language would be the same would it not?

MicroLogix and SLC processors use the same programming software (RSLogix500).

ControlLogix is a hardware platform (just like MicroLogix and SLC) but uses RSLogix5000 as the programming software.

MicroLogix and SLC processors use the same programming software (RSLogix500).

ControlLogix is a hardware platform (just like MicroLogix and SLC) but uses RSLogix5000 as the programming software.

Sorry I was lead to think Control Logix was the software. I never used it as it wasnt offered at my school. RsLogix 5000 is the tag based programming software right? Can it be used with a SLC or Micrologix?

I think it would be best to start a new sthread specific for PLC-2 software questions as the more I look into it it is going to be very different from what Im used to.