Point I/O fault

I am involved in a FAT test where I have a ControlLogix PLC connected via DLR to several 1734 distributed racks. We came in one morning and we had a fault on a rack. It appears that one 1734-IE2C module faulted. When if faulted it also took out the 1734-AENTR.

Unfortunately we figured this out after we had already moved the faulted IE2C to another rack and it took out that comms adapter as well. Currently the comms adapters can be seen on the network until we add any modules in the rest of the rack. So it looks like the comms adapters are ready for the scrap bin.

Has anyone ever run into a similar situation? It seems that if the ie2c module caused this than there is a design issue. We didn't even have any field wiring hooked up and this occurred.

We may have to re-evaluate our use of point I/O if a module fault can ruin a comms adapter.