Sort Posts by Manufacturer

Any changes that you would like to see make a suggestion to Phil, he is open to them thats why he made website update thread

Most of the users here like it the way it is 🍻

+1 for keeping it the way it is. I don't even want "likes", "thumbs up", or voting on posts because not having it forces people to read the whole thread where the discussion of the merits of different solutions and approaches takes place. If this became stackoverflow for PLC programming a lot of the value in the discussions would be lost. Maybe https://robotics.stackexchange.com/ is what you are looking for, but as you can see it hasn't attracted the same following as this site.

having separate forums for each manufacturer has been discussed and collectively shot down before as geniusintraining kindly provided the link: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=100066

There should be features like "+1" or "Thumbs Up", etc, like all the linux/programming forums run on, such that the ultimate solution appears at the top of the thread, based on community agreement.

This is something I have thought for years is lacking in this field, and have considered 'building" my own site that addresses this. (note building is a relative term, like Wikipedia runs Wikimedia not something super proprietary, there are solutions out there).

I think there is some value in users having a low effort way to show support for a post without simply replying "+1" or "me too". Some threads it might make sense to sort by the most popular answer, and having some basic coment voting could reduce clutter a lot. We end up with threads like this one where we have a million people replying with some variation of "LEAVE IT THE WAY IT IS", which makes it hard to sort through all the replies to see the unique replies or new ideas. I

However, here, most of the time the value is in the flow of the conversation, because there are multiple valid solutions and the eventual result took refining over 5 or 6 replies back and forth between the OP and others. It might make sense to add new ways to view the forum, but

Regardless, I'm assuming Phil is just using a stock phpBB install, so any time we're talking about new forum features its probably all wasted breath.

I used to frequent MrPLC far more than this site, because it had separate categories, and I liked that. Then it started to die, because it had separate categories, and I moved over here more often.

Having been kicking tyres here for a few years now, I've learned a ton more things about a ton more topics than I ever would have done if I hadn't been exposed to the interesting questions from posts unrelated to the brands I normally used. To be honest, if we sorted it all into categories, I'd probably hang out 95% of the time in the AB section, and only ever drop into the other sections when I needed something. That kills the spirit of the forum quite a bit. It's bad for me, because I don't learn as much as I otherwise could. It's bad for others, because they'll get less help from me on account of me just not seeing their posts. It's bad for the forum as a whole, because if people are getting less help, and giving less help, the energy of the forum will wilt away very quickly and then your only option will be the AB forums *shudder*.

I prefer the layout here than categorized as is MrPLC. From the shear number of posts, so do most people.

Point #1: While you may come here for AB specific information, you need to realize that many answers are actually generic in nature. We ask for platform clarification a lot because of absolutely abysmal first question posts.

Point #2: The search here is excellent. Just try a specific search if you have a question.

Point #3: Who cares about categories? If you have a question, post it. You will get answers, and isn't that the point?

Point #4: If you can't stand this format, well, don't let the door hit you on the way out and all that.. Go to MrPLC, or reddit/PLC.. Even more specifically, since you are AB only, go to reddit/rslogix. There aren't any posts there, but it is dedicated to rslogix.

or reddit/PLC.. Even more specifically, since you are AB only, go to reddit/rslogix. There aren't any posts there, but it is dedicated to rslogix.

I just went there.... that is not good, simple is better, I dont want bells and whistles, just answers and questions

ASF said:
I've learned a ton more things about a ton more topics than I ever would have done if I hadn't been exposed to the interesting questions from posts unrelated to the brands I normally used.

Agree I learn new things everyday, I use to have more time and I would read a lot of the post but now just read the header and if it look like something I can help or find interesting I will open it up, its nice seeing the new products or new ways of doing it... I learned indirect addressing with Clicks from a post you put up, I doubt I would of even read that if the questions were all broken up

Point #4: If you can't stand this format, well, don't let the door hit you on the way out and all that..

Why do we have to be like that? This forum has shown it's age, and there is a valid argument to be made for thinking about moving forward a little bit. Viewing this site on mobile sucks and it's pretty predictable which handful of users will contribute to a thread.

The other forums previously mentioned aren't my thing either in-terms of styling or categories (too many). But I'd like SOME way to filter content here:

1. Students Looking for Help (so those who want to help can, and students feel welcome)
2. Control Systems 101 (70% of what we see here #yawn)
3. Advanced Topics
4. Must Reads! (Posts tagged that are invaluable knowledge)

Most of the information here is buried and you're stuck searching, bookmarking and anyone new to the site aren't going to just magically come across the value here.

I've previously mentioned the forums could benefit by moving to discourse but didn't gain any tracking.

Most of the information here is buried and you're stuck searching, bookmarking and anyone new to the site aren't going to just magically come across the value here.

I cant stand the Google search, the old search is great and for my searches works much better for me

I prefer the layout here than categorized as is MrPLC. From the shear number of posts, so do most people.

Point #1: While you may come here for AB specific information, you need to realize that many answers are actually generic in nature. We ask for platform clarification a lot because of absolutely abysmal first question posts.

Exactly. Example: In what category will you put questions like, "How do I scale my flow sensor analog input"?

Why bother with categories? This works fine the way it is.