Australian wiring standards

g.robert

Lifetime Supporting Member
This question is not PLC programming related.

We are wiring a small control panel for installation in Australia. The panel is 220 VAC input. The panels controls will be 24VDC limited to 15 amps maximum and will consist of 24VDC power supply,relays, micro plc and terminal strips. My question pertains to the type of wire connecting the relays to the terminal strips confined within the enclosure. Is the insulation type XHHW-2 recognized as acceptable for this application? The only guidelines given were "shall comply with the requirements of AS/NZS 3000". Here locally we would use #14 AWG or 2.5mm with a THHN , XHHW-2 or similar conductor.

Can someone familiar with control wiring in Australia provide answer with technical reference to back up statement? I hope we can use XHHW-2 or we are going to have to rewire the panel.

I am going to post a link to another website/forum, the topic originally was posted by me asking about wire colors, type (THHN, THWN, MTW etc) and other things.

The thread kind of went astray BUT many Australian members participate and made comments. Most, if not all are also members of this forum.

See if this helps:
http://www.patchn.com/forum1/viewtopic.php?t=72

Thanks. I allready emailed this question to the "wiringrules.com". I await their reply. I will check out the thread noted.

If anyone from Australia could provide the answer please do as this issue remains unresolved.

Thanks to all.

I have no idea what THNN etc are, but here is a quick run down.

Phase colours Red White Blue
Neutral Black
Earth Yellow/green

No conductor except earth can be any combination of green or yellow.

24V can be what you want but I prefer brown & light blue.

2.5mm seems excessive if it is only control. I would probably use 0.75mm PVC coated flexible cable.

Regards Alan case

Alan is absolutely correct. The only thing I do is use pink for 24vdc+ and brown for 24vdc-, violet for NPN outputs.
Normally, consultants specify 1.5 sq mm cable for control ciruits. This is protected by a 10 amp circuit breaker. Ridiculous size for most jobs. Power cable (motors etc) is normally minimum 2.5 sq mm. This can be 50/0.25 stranded or 7/0.67 stranded. This is capable of carrying 20 amps, provided there is air around it.
If you wish to break your 15 amps down and use more sensible cable sizes, place a 4 amp circuit breaker in front of your 0.75 sq mm wire.
1.5 sq mm is normally 30/0.25 stranded, 0.75 sq mm is normally 24/0.20 stranded. I do not know how these equate over there.
Grey and black are normal colours for 24vac.
By the way, our input voltage here is 240vac not 220vac. 3 phase is 415vac between phases.
beerchug

The light blue colour mentioned above should is used to denote Intrisically Safe Circuits. This is mentioned in the hazardous area standards. These CCT are usually 12vdc with limited current capacities.
If the Panel is going to be used in a coal mine 1.5mm2 is preferred for control ccts. Out side of this Current capacity, Voltage drop and temp ratings will determine the cable required.
On the fuse/breaker sizeing: The fuse/breaker shall be selected to protect the CABLE in a fault situation.
AS/NZS 3000 Clause 3.4.1 Refers to AS/NZS 3008.1 For Current Carrying Capacity.
Something to be aware of is that AS/NZS 3000 refers to many other standards for detailed info ( Its more of a detailed index ). If the standard is refered to then it is considered to be part of the refering standard.

Thanks guys. I miss-quoted wire size. We are told what size to use. We must use 2.5mm minimum for all power wiring (our #12 awg), we must use 1.5mm for all control wiring (our #14 awg) and we are allowed .75mm (our #16 awg) to instrumentation.

There are no issues on color coding. That info was supplied.

My problem is that our customer requires documentation to support materials compliance with local standards.
In the US I could simply copy Table 310.16 which list most of the insulations available along with their rated ampacity. It even goes a step further in article 310.13 with a table that list all conductor insulations and applications.

Does such a table exist in Australian code? Would it list XHHW-2? What documentation can I provide that would confirm XHHW-2 as code compliant?

I know the wiring is fine. Pretty much everyone in the field knows it is fine. But this customer (a very large worldwide contractor) only cares about the documentation to support each items conformity to local standards

I did post elsewhere and will also post here. I have been extermely busy finishing a large PLC control panel. Am almost finished. Will post some tables here in the next day or so.
beerchug

I have some tables taken from AS3000 describing cables sizes and types g.robert. This site will not accept pdf files and the bitmaps are too big. Anyone requiring these tables, please e-mail me at Bob Bishop
There are no specific tables for switch boards or control panels and the information you require will have to be extrapolated from the tables.
The references to V90 etc are cable temperature ratings in degrees C.
Phase colours are red, white and blue. Earth is green with yellow stripe. 240VAC control wiring is normally red for active and black for neutral.
24VAC is light grey and black. 24VDC is not specific but I normally use pink for positive and brown for negative.
Green and/or yellow must not be used under any circumstances except as above for earth.
Minimum 2.5 mm is used for power wiring and 1.5 sq mm for control wiring.
Regards
beerchug

Last edited: