Need 0-10 vdc from 48 vdc

What exactly will your bench test comprise? Being a motion control drive, it will tuned for very fast acceleration and deceleration. Don't go cranking the pot rapidly from one extreme to the other, especially if the motor isn't clamped securely to the bench. Normally with drives like this, the motion controller takes care of ramping the speed reference. When you connect a pot directly, you become the motion controller. I'd recommend a multi-turn pot for your testing.

It's the starboard drivewheel motor from a automatic fork type AGV. We turned the commutator down, with new brushes, and just wanted to connect it to a drive and test it through the rpm range. You're right, if I connect that motor to 48 v it throws itself right off the table thats why I wanted some speed control. There's a proprietary analog pcb board on the agv that handles the 0-10 speed input but I cant use that on the bench.
I'll take your advice on the multi-turn pot when testing the motor by itself, sounds like a smart thing to do. Right now I have the motor connected to the transmission and drivewheel assy on the floor and with all that weight and gear reduction taming the motor down I'm sure the single-turn pot will be safe. The onboard analog output card ramps these motors up and down very quickly.

0-10vdc from

connect 40k fixed resistor in series with 10k pot and apply 48vdc to it.connect the sliding arm of pot to base of npn power transistor.connect the collector to +48vdc.connect motor between emmitter and common of 48vdc