Modbus TCP/IP

cjjeeper

I have a Goulds water pump skid running the Xylem e-MT controller. This controller has a modbus TCP/IP interface.

I have configured the service screen for the IP that sets the modbus interface.

I cannot make a connection to it via Modscan32...I have tried all memory areas in the documentation and I cannot get a connection. Currently their tech support is not answering calls (for 2 days now).

Any help / experience on this?

[all I can do on the xylem side is set an IP address and reboot it. cannot check the port or anything else.]

Thanks in advance.

I like to use modpoll to test Modbus devices. Works well as I find the command line much easier. Also, try directly connecting the PC to the device to make sure it isn't the network. I like to use WireShark to verify the device's mac address and IP address.

EDIT: If the device does not block pings, you can use angryIP Scanner to find open ports on a device. nmap is awesome but a bit more complicated and has a windows version. The default modbus port is 502

Last edited:
Can you connect to it in any other way, like ordinary PING or a Web interface ?

Try also TCPING, which simply opens a TCP connection on a specific Port number. Port 502 is standard for Modbus/TCP, but sometimes folks use Port 503 and up.

https://www.elifulkerson.com/projects/tcping.php

Running Wireshark at the same time as you try those tools sometimes gives you insight into the device's basic connectivity as well.

@id1ot_error: we used to have several pd11-44, Vax 750 and Vax 780, we have Decnet network thru microwaves, it was like 500 miles only on our caribbean coast.
We used to handle banks, and goverment offices in seven cities.
Thanks for the links.

I can ping it. and I am direct connected PC to device

let me see if I can check the port....I of course assumed its 502

Last edited:
I used that AngryIP scanner and found that the open port is 80.....

So I can now connect but there are no addresses that don't give me a READ/WRTIE error....

Port 80 is the default port for http traffic. In other words: html web pages to be looked at by means of a web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Internet Explorer, Safari etc). It will not give you your modbus connection. But not all is lost - it is very likely that you will find a web server at port 80. Connect a laptop or desktop computer on the same network, with a fixed IP address in the same range as your device. Then point your web browser to the IP address of the device. See what comes up. You may find a web interface with configuration options and/or documentation of the device that you can access from your computer. Could be a starting point to work from.

@id1ot_error: we used to have several pd11-44, Vax 750 and Vax 780, we have Decnet network thru microwaves, it was like 500 miles only on our caribbean coast.
We used to handle banks, and goverment offices in seven cities.
Thanks for the links.

Adding 11/23 which looks like a desktop PC. Capable of boot and load whole OS via DECNET. The RC25 disk drives, the big tapes on 11/44.

And lastly, Carl J Lydick (RIP) and his **** for brains comments.

Thank you all, as always for all the help....

yeah it was never going to work. I did try the webpage but no go there either...finally got hold of the service folks.

For future reference......Xylem Aquaforce e-MT must have at least rev 1.95 or higher software to utilize Modbus TCP/IP.

When installing the firmware/software upgrade....select Danforth Modbus TCP...