SMC Ethernet Module Swap

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all. I have an existing system that had an EX600-SEN2 connected to a compactlogix. Our over zealous sanitation crew dumped bleach on it to clean off the product and destroyed it. I purchased a new one and received a new model EX600-SEN4. I called to complain and was told the SEN2 is no longer available. I was hoping (silly me) that all I would have to do is remove the old and plug in the new, bootp the ip address and be good to go. I have removed the earlier generation from the code, loaded the EDS for the new one and now am unable to download my project because it appears data type is no longer the same? If anyone has any idea what I am up against, I would appreciate the support. On my new plc program I am trying to find a way to point the hundreds of existing tags (alias') to the new module so it will be happy again and allow me to download it. Thanks much.

What was the error you got when you tried it? You may be able to disable the keying and still make it work.

There is AOP out there. I have used them extensively, I can see if I can find the link to it.

When setting up the AOP or a generic module you have to setup the assembly instance for the IO. Did you do that?

I would imagine the data mapping would be the same as the sen2, as long as you kept the module name the same and the data map matches I don’t see any reason to have to re alias all the tags.

If you still have the backup of the old program, and it was added using an EDS file, you can see what the datatype and sizes were for those module tags,
For the SEN4, you can create a generic module and recreate the tags based on the old sizes, then do a rename all and maybe work like that?

That lists an AOP for the 260-Sen4, not 600-SEN4.

I setup a SEN4 several years ago using GEM, worked ok.

You are right, I overlooked the part number.

However they do exist, will have to keep looking. See attached screen shot.

EX600 AOP.JPG

To the OP, here is what the data looks like with the SEN 3/4 AOP.

This is with an input assembly of 6 and an output assembly of 8. That will vary depending on your IO setup.

EX600 IO.JPG