Emerson PAC 9.8 file restoration

First of all, I'm an AB guy and this GE/Emerson stuff is awful.

Problem I'm running into is - I have some backup files for seven PLCs on a site that are saved as plain files - they were not backed up as .zip, which PME/PAC/Whatever we're calling it these days, will not restore in the traditional method (right click in the project navigator, select restore, select zip, magic happens)

The method to get around this is make a new empty project, then on the empty project you right click, define the controller type, and then right click on the new target and select import. Select the folder and there is a versapro file in there to restore with.

This works, but only to an extent. I get an accurate hardware config, the variables and their comments come in, but I get no logic. If you look at the feedback zone, you can see it saying that it is importing the blocks, and no errors are thrown, but the ladder portion of the project is empty, nothing to click, nothing to select, just barren.

This is PAC 9.8, latest and greatest in theory. I checked with the only other semi controls jockey on site and he ran into the same thing. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Seen it before? I thought I might be able to import the individual logic blocks, but when selecting that option, the file type needs to be .xml, which I do not have in these file folders.

Last edited:
All over the place;

each ladder that isnt uploading has a .bld, .blk, .dec, .nob and .pdt.
There are .flb that seem to call themselves out as a project backup (associates to project name), then hwcfg, inx, ssx, vdt, vvt, which appear to be all hardware and variable config.

Finally, a .fld, which is what PAC ME looks at when I tell it to import a versapro folder. The other two options are to import a cimplicity or logicmaster folder, but I have no LM90 and the cimplicity, if I point it in that direction, the machine throws an error saying it cannot find the .hwcfg file, which is interesting as it is staring us right in the face.

That sure sounds like VersaPro files.

If you like, send me the contents of one of the VersaPro project folders. I'll see if I can get better results using a Pre-Emerson version of Proficy ME. If you'd rather not post it, you can email me at sbailey0621 at gmail dot com.

That sure sounds like VersaPro files.

If you like, send me the contents of one of the VersaPro project folders. I'll see if I can get better results using a Pre-Emerson version of Proficy ME. If you'd rather not post it, you can email me at sbailey0621 at gmail dot com.

Sounds good. I'll be curious to see.

I'll send one to your email from ajmaki36 at gmail