Opening Panelviewplus 1000 config screen

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, I have a PV+ 1000 that I am unable to access the config screen on. All I want to do is upload the .mer that is currently running. I tried cycling power and waited for the little box to touch but it never appears. Whoever built this didn't put a soft button anywhere to allow shutdown that would take me to the file manager. I have also tried uploading with my FTView ME but that isn't working either. Any other tricks to doing this? THank you

With USB keyboard hit Ctrl+Shift+Alt+Windows keys simultaneously to enter Task Manager, this should let you kill the running application and go to Configuration screen.

The white square only appears in PanelView Plus terminals with firmware revs 4.0 through 5.1. When the PanelView +6 (firmware version 6 and above) was introduced this method went away and was replaced by the keyboard methods described above. Though you can re-enable it by digging into the Windows CE settings.

For versions up to 5.1 the white square is only visible in the bottom left corner of the display for a couple seconds after the Power On Self Test (POST). For touchscreen devices press and old the button until it disappears (should be instantly). If you have a keypad unit, then press the F1 when the square appears and release when it disappears.

An alternative would be to prepare a USB drive with a batch file to tell it to copy files. That gets a bit more involved though. Rockwell has a Tech note on it. ID: QA12936 (TechConnect required)

OG

Last edited:
For versions up to 5.1 the white square is only visible in the bottom left corner of the display for a couple seconds after the Power On Self Test (POST). For touchscreen devices press and old the button until it disappears (should be instantly). If you have a keypad unit, then press the F1 when the square appears and release when it disappears.

An alternative would be to prepare a USB drive with a batch file to tell it to copy files. That gets a bit more involved though. Rockwell has a Tech note on it. ID: QA12936 (TechConnect required)

OG
Thank you OG. I have tried connecting a keyboard to both USB-A ports and following the above directions, nothing. I do not have a tech connect agreement with AB so I am unable to look at the technote. Could it be that accessing the config screen has been locked out somehow?

Well, I am at a loss then...
So you even used the autorun.exe procedure DUNK and daba mentioned?

The keyboard method only works with a PV +6 or +7. It does not work on the PV+ revision 5.1 or older.

There is not a method to lockout the config screen. We are just missing something.

OG

Did you try the autorun way? If you did and it didn’t work make sure that there is nothing else on the usb stick you are using and the autorun is in the root directory.

The keyboard method only works with a PV +6 or +7. It does not work on the PV+ revision 5.1 or older.
OG

I just powered up one of our PVP 1000 terminals and verified the firmware is "5.10.16.09 (CPR 9 SR 2)" and RSLinx and ME Firmware Upgrade Wizard show it to be a PanelView Plus 1000 and the Keyboard method DOES Work to bring up the Task Manager...
Not sure about keyboard working on any prior version below 5.10
I will look in our spare panels and see if there is an older 5.0 or below to test.

For those that want to know how to tell quickly which PVP version Plus, or +6 see the auotmation blog.
https://theautomationblog.com/seven-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-panelview-plus/

Okay, I was finally able to get it from the OEM. I have worked with FTView many years however, I learned something new today. As I opened the project, everything is in German. When I go to the HMI, the runtime file is in English. I didn't know until today that, when you create the runtime file you can have it translated automatically to another language. That is cool! I have never had this happen before. Now I just need to figure out how to have the development (.med) app translate it to English for me. Love learning new things about an app I have been using for years.