Generic ETHERNET MODULE ip addressing

Sean Teague

working on a project to change ip address on a machine from 192.168.0.xx to 192.168.1.xx.

My question is this,

I have a Denso pick and place robot on this machine. Its IP address (according to the communication settings in the robot) is 192.168.0.3.

However, the Generic Ethernet Module listed for it in the ethernet tree in the program shows an address on 192.168.0.4

Shouldn't the IP addresses match for the Ethernet Module AND the Robot?

Yes, they should match... Are you sure you are looking at the correct module?

There is a chance there is some sort of address translation going on somewhere, but that's unlikely considering they are already in the same range.

Is there more than one robot this PLC is running?

there is the following:

Processor: 192.168.0.1
HMI: 192.168.0.2
Robot: 192.168.0.4
IAI MSEP Controller: 192.168.0.5
Cognex camera #1: 192.168.0.6
Cognex camera #2: 192.168.0.7

But when i go into the teach pendant for the robot and go to communication settings, it clearly shows the robot IP as 192.168.0.3, not 0.4.

We have 3 machines that are setup this way and running.

have you checked if there is more than one ethernet adaptor on the robot?

Also have you tried pinging both addresses?

I did just notice that there are 2 ethernet cables running to the robot controller.

So youre saying the teach pendant has its own IP address and the controller has its own also?

Normally for TCP/IP to work, every logical (i.e. non-repeater/hub/switch) ethernet connection to a LAN needs to have a unique IP address i.e. that is used by no other logical connection to the same LAN.

So if a device has multiple ethernet "cards" connected to a LAN, each card will have a unique (to the LAN) IP address.

There can be more than one IP address per connection, but any IP address can occur only once on that LAN.

Do you have the software for programming the robot? And the back up of the project?

I'm not familiar with that type of robot, but I wouldn't be trying to change the network address without a full backup and software.

There is a possibility the pendant uses a network port and therefore has it's own IP address, but quite often on controllers you get more than one network port, and sometimes they aren't all used.