RSLinx path to project

cncsparky

CLX L81E v30.14
RSL v4.11

Something happened to my Logix workstation and I've had to re-browse to the processor on every project, even though the new path ended up the same as the previous path.

Not a problem, except for this one, not able to point my project path to the L81E. This system is different from our typical, usually the plant network EN2T is in the same chassis as the processor.

This one:
L81E(Rack1)192.168.1.10 -> EN2T(Rack2 slot0)192.168.1.20 -> EN2T(Rack2 slot10) -> plant network 172.16.xx.xx.

I thought someone did some magic in RSLinx in order to connect to the L81E from the plant network but not sure.

Attached a snip of the Studio 5000 Linx path browse dialog box. The path in project is correct, but it won't go online. In the tree, there is no (.10)

Thanks for any help!

RSL_Browse.JPG

Last edited:
Never mind I found it :)

Right click on 'A' Ethernet. Properties. Added the processor IP (.10) and am now able to browse and the project path works!

Still wondering what happened to Linx to have to re-browse all projects? Another Rockwell feature?

The RSLinx magic is manually configuring the driver so that it knows which IP addresses to browse when it goes "out" from a 1756-ENxT module. This information is stored in the harmony.rsh and harmony.hrc files, so it doesn't easily transfer between machines and gets flushed if you have to flush those files for another reason.

In your case, right-click on the Ethernet icon, select Properties, then open the Configure Browse tab. That's where you enter the "remote" IP addresses you want to browse through this Ethernet -> Backplane -> Ethernet path.

RA Knowledgebase doc on the subject (Access Level: TechConnect):

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/26787/loc/en_US

The RSLinx magic is manually configuring the driver so that it knows which IP addresses to browse when it goes "out" from a 1756-ENxT module. This information is stored in the harmony.rsh and harmony.hrc files, so it doesn't easily transfer between machines and gets flushed if you have to flush those files for another reason.

In your case, right-click on the Ethernet icon, select Properties, then open the Configure Browse tab. That's where you enter the "remote" IP addresses you want to browse through this Ethernet -> Backplane -> Ethernet path.

RA Knowledgebase doc on the subject (Access Level: TechConnect):

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/26787/loc/en_US

Ken, I've not read the 26787 article, but what you have said goes against my understanding of the Ethernet/IP driver.

Sure, you have to enter the IP addresses of devices you want to use in the Ethernet Devices driver, but I've never had to, nor can I find any way to, add devices to the Ethernet/IP driver.

Neither of my Ethernet drivers (Devices or IP) show me a "Configure Browse" tab under properties as you describe.

The "Devices" driver allow me to enter IP addresses of target hardware in the "Configure driver" menu item - called "Station Mapping".

The "IP" driver simply gives me a list of IP addresses I can browse out from, e.g. Windows Default, Npcap Loopback adapter, Microsoft Loopback adapter, Intel(R) 82578DM Gigabit Network Connection, and a couple of VM Virtual Network Adapters. These have nothing to do with target hardware.

This is RSLinx 4.11.00. CPR 9 SR 11.0

I have, over the years, deleted the "Harmony" files several times, and the IP drivers simply re-find everything attached.

Daba, yes you can do this.

If you connect to a chassis using your EIP driver and that chassis has two ethernet cards. One card is on the same subnet as your PC while the other card is on a separate subnet. Normally you would only be able to see devices on your subnet. The EIP driver discovers EIP devices and they are displayed. But it cannot scan both the local subnet and a second subnet. It can scan one or the other, but not both.

If you browse through the backplane to the module on the remote subnet and expand it to see the "A Ethernet" you can right-click on it and select Properties. From there you will see the available IP addresses you can choose from. Add them to the Expected Addresses almost like the Ethernet Devices driver.

This is similar to how you could go over an Ethernet to a DH+ network and see the devices on the DH+ network. There is just no discovery capability on the remote ethernet.

OG

RemoteEIP.PNG

Last edited: