Autocad Electrical - wire length?

the_msp

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is it possible for AutoCad Electrical to generate wire lengths, if e.g. paried with a 3D assembly from Inventor with matching part numbers?

This can be done in ePlan but requires the ProPanel add-on.

Yes, I know it’s possible but I’ve never tried it. Inventor can calculate the length, in AutoCAD electrical the variable you want is CLEN. How you get the inventor length to CLEN in an automatic fashion I’m not real sure of.

Yes, it's for a control panel. I'd assume the algorithm in ProPanel etc take your consideration into account, but we all know what assume did to u and me...

if, and i repeat if you go to the outside corners at every point of the wire duct with a wire, you would have enough room. i would add 1-2 ft extra per wire as a safety for the first panel to see how close you are. i hate it when i get into a control panel and the wires are so tight that the wire duct corners are caved in. tracing a wire in that condition is hard, then you have to put the wires back and hopefully do not pull a wire out of a terminal.
james

Agreed on the too-tight wire cabinets, had my head in a few in my days.

Disagree on adding 1-2 ft per wire. What if the wire is in a perfect world only supposed to be 12". Too much extra is bad too, it fills the slotted trunking up too fast. I would add a % factor, and compare "hand-measured" wires with what the software is telling me it should be. Trial and error get the right % extra.

As a wiring guy, I'd respectfully suggest a combination. A minimum extra amount, perhaps 10 cm, unless 5% (random numbers) is greater. It's not too difficult to make wire disappear, but it's really hard to get it to grow.

i agree that to much wire is bad. if the wire is to long by 12" the panel builder can simply cut off the excess. i just left a job that would have every wire with any where from 2 ft to 100 ft to much wire. Yes i did say 100 ft.
there is also a 15 ft requirement in the wire trough.
james