OT - My Computer Now Speaks French...

Eric Nelson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Does anyone know how Windows controls what language is used in dialog boxes?

I'm getting dialogs like "Enregistrer les modifications apportées à filename?" instead of "Do you want to save the changes you made to filename?"

Worse is that some don't translate, so I get "?? ??? filename? ??????". I don't speak Questionese, so sometimes I'm not sure if "Yes" is the correct response... ;)

What's odd it that the choices (e.g. Yes/No/Cancel) ARE in English.

This is funny for about 2 minutes. Now I want to fix it!!... :mad:

Any ideas?... :confused:

🍻

-Eric

Go to Control Panel and open the Regional and Language Options App. I don't know what it will say in French. The icon should be a globe.

Same problem here - some pop up windows and dialog boxes in some programs are in German.
Not all, just some.
Programs are all in English.
Can't figure this out...

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, Guys... :nodi:

Great links, Eugen. I've been digging through the registry, but references to 'language' seem to be set to '1033', which is English.

That was my first stop, Chuck. Both were set to English (US).

Seems you and I are in the same boat, Contr_Conn. Only a handful of my programs have French or ??? dialogs. The rest are fine. This happens on the same programs on both my Win98 desktop, and XPPro(SP1) laptop. I have, for the most part, the same software installed on both. Up until now, the affected dialogs were on rarely used software, so I didn't really care.

I just installed some new software from Ormec, and it displays the dialogs in French on both of my computers. As a test, I tried installing it on my buddy's PC, and the dialogs are in English. This tells me that there's some setting in MY computers that is causing it to use French.

I guess I'd better brush up on my French. Or maybe move north?...
canadaflag.gif

🍻

-Eric

Eric,

What you described is exactly same om my laptop (Windows XP Pro SP1)for almost 2 years except it speaks German or another similar language.
Only some dialog boxes in some programs are not in English.
Looks like these programs trying automatically determine what language to use and fail.

I think this happened after I installed software Beijer/Mitsu E-designer for E-Terminals - this is one of the programs I am having problem with.

So some component is missing in your XP, hmmm? A long shot but see if you have all the fonts your budy has :confused:

There must be some other resources as well. I'll see if I can dig anything.

Anyways you can always move north (y)

Last edited:
I am not moving anywhere ;) , I made enought moves in my life.

Here is an example of the message boxes I see. What language? One I don't know.

LLL1.jpg

Last edited:
Somewhere I read about a virus that can switch the language type in the windows registry back and forth when a query window pops up.

At least I'm not alone...

Contr_Conn said:
I think this happened after I installed software Beijer/Mitsu E-designer for E-Terminals - this is one of the programs I am having problem with.

Hmmm... That may very well have been when mine started acting up. When I bought my new laptop, I was in the middle of an HMI project, so E-Designer was one of the first programs I installed. That might be why my laptop was affected from the start?

Upon further investigation, it seems I was mistaken. Only my desktop PC speaks French. My laptop uses that incomprehensible 'Questionese' langauge. E-Designer suffers from the same disease, though menus and help are in English.

dialog1.jpg

In some programs, even the dialog's title bar displays ??

I guess my desktop has language support installed, so it displays words (although in French) instead of '???'... :confused:

I'm sure it's just a registry change, but locating it is the difficult part. You can be sure I'll pass along any solution I find... :nodi:

🍻

-Eric

Just for GP why not uninstall E-Designer then scandisk/defrag then reinstall, of course save the project files in another folder. You never know there may be a setting during install to turn that off, try doing a custom install.

I havent kept up but in the old days MS had a 3 party program called Regclean that was great, not sure what will clean the register now, I am not as involved with that stuff as I once was.

I guess my desktop has language support installed, so it displays words (although in French) instead of '???'...

I don't think this is a problem.
I have Russian language support installed on all computers and only laptop gives me this problem.

Just for GP why not uninstall E-Designer then scandisk/defrag then reinstall, of course save the project files in another folder. You never know there may be a setting during install to turn that off, try doing a custom install

I don't think this is E-Designer's problem as it is running OK on my desktop PC with all dialog boxes showing correct language. I remember removing it and re-installing while ago - same result. I saw this in other programs also...

Ok I am digging, havent done this MS KB stuff for awhile. Dont forget to goto msconfig and check SYSTEM.INI, mainly boot and 386Enh, for any thing but the standard windows .fon files. Its another place to look besides the registry for something unusual.

rsdoran said:
Dont forget to goto msconfig and check SYSTEM.INI, mainly boot and 386Enh, for any thing but the standard windows .fon files. Its another place to look besides the registry for something unusual.

Here's my system.ini file:

msconfig.jpg

A quick Google search shows that it looks pretty typical.

🍻

-Eric

I know you'll find a way to fix this problem. I gave up on one and re-formated the hard drive and then re-installed the windows operatiing system software.