Problem with ML1500 output module 1769-OB16

neerajpuranik

I have a pouch packing machine having ML1500 PLC. It has got one additional output module 1769-OB16. The problem is one of its output is not working ( OUT1 ). According to program normally this output remains in ON state keeping sol. valve ON & every 6 cycles it switches off discharging a cylinder to facilitate cutting of six sachet chain.
For quite sometime this output is not operating the coil. When I checked it with multimeter it was showing 24V DC but as soon as I connect it to coil the voltage becomes dead 0 V. Obviously I checked the wiring for any short but did not find any problem with wiring. Even then I changed the total wiring between the output to coil but no improvement. After that I tried operating relay with it but even with relay coil the voltage is dropping to 11 V DC, not enough to operate it. The manufacturer has not used relay card with the output module so the output was directly connected to Sol. coil.
Is it possible the output is fried? Has anyone came across the same situation or I am doing any gross mistake in checking??????
Kindly advice
Thanks,
Neeraj

All solid state relays will have leakage when off. Thats why you see voltage with no load. Also you should always use some sort of surge protection across the relay when powering inductive loads ( sol)
See PDF below note notes at bottom of PDF

Dear Mickey,
Thanks for taking interest in my query. What I am not understanding is why the voltage level is becoming zero as soon as I connect it to sol coil keeping output ON ( when I check without load it gives 24 V DC ). Keeping the output ON I have tried connecting low wattage relay coil too but still the output voltage is falling uptp 11 V DC which is not sufficient for picking up the relay.
And finally, is my judgement " that OUT1 is fried" is correct or not?