Moving Linx slot in Emulate?

patjdixon

I want to put the control processor in slot 0 for Rockwell Emulate so I can map real IO to simulated IO in the same channels. That means I need to move the RS Linx module from slot 0. I already moved RS Linx Gateway by using FactoryTalk, but I cannot find a way to move RS Linx. I saw a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1msOi80kuE) that showed using Linx to configure the slot number from Configure Driver on the virtual chasis, but when I try it I am prevented by "Virtual Backplane driver of 1784-PCIC(S) driver is in use and can't be configured". Is there another way?

rockwell_iosim_02.jpg

patjdixon said:
...using Linx to configure the slot number from Configure Driver on the virtual chasis, but when I try it I am prevented by "Virtual Backplane driver of 1784-PCIC(S) driver is in use and can't be configured". Is there another way?

There's a little clue in the warning message you are receiving which is quite obvious if you've been "having fun" with RSLinx Classic for many years. You cannot reconfigure drivers while they are actively running and attempting to browse for devices. Stop the Virtual Backplane driver through whichever means you can - uncheck "Autobrowse", and then either right-click and Stop, or go to Configure Drivers and Stop. Then go to Properties and change the slot number. Then restart the driver if it doesn't automatically restart itself.

Regards,
George

Can't stop driver

I unchecked Autobrowse and tried stopping the driver but I can't. I closed Emulate but the driver still is running and won't stop. The Configure Driver dialog still says I cannot configure because it is in use. I look at the running processes and don't see anything that would be using it

rockwell_iosim_03.jpg

Attachments

• rockwell_iosim_04.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 7
Last edited:
OK, again, the message you are getting has the clue in it...

"The driver is in use by one or more clients or applications that are requesting data or browsing networks".

I could get into how to stop other software from browsing or requesting data but it's simpler if you just close down any background Rockwell software such as Studio 5000 Logix Designer or FactoryTalk View, etc. and then try again.

On my workstation, with just Studio 5000 Logix Emulate and RSLinx Classic running, I only had to uncheck "Autobrowse" in the RSLinx Classic RSWho window and then I could right-click on the Virtual driver and go to "Configure Driver" and the slot could be changed.

Regards,
George

All apps are closed but says in use

I attached this image in the prior post but it didn't show up. It shows all Rockwell software is closed (no processes listed) except for Linx. Still with no other Rockwell apps running and Autobrowse off it says the driver is in use. When I try to stop the driver it temporarily stops and then restarts. How do I stop the driver so that I can move Linx from slot 1?

rockwell_iosim_04.jpg

Last edited:
Patjdixon,

Have you figure out how to stop communication driver? Please share. I saw in your other post that you finally were able to make it.

Thanks in advance.

By some sequence of events, I rebooted the machine and was able to stop the driver and re-assign the slot. This was after several prior reboots attempting to do the same thing. I cannot explain what was done differently. It appears that there is something very finicky, but I now have Emulate with the processor in slot 0.

Although Thread is Quite Old. I also Struggled With The Same İssue And Since I could't Find Direct Solution, I came Up With One. Hopefully It will Help For People To come After Me.

Artboard 1.jpg

Last edited: