Powerflex 40 IP address

dabanani

I am new to Powerflex frequency drives. I am trying to communicate to Powerflex 40 through Ethernet IP using BOOTP. The problem is I cannot seem to find the IP address of the Drive as well as Subnet Mast and Gateway. I was looking at the manual for Powerflex so far no success.

If you are familiar with Powerflex40 and BOOTP, please help me, and your time is highly appreciated.

Aaron

You need a comm card for the PF40. I'm not sure of the the part # for PF40s. The comm card for PF 700 is 22-comm-e. The part number for the 40 should be similar (it might be a 20-comm-e). The information that you seek is in the manual for the comm card, not the drive itself.

Bernie mentions this because there is a RJ-45 style connector on the PowerFlex 40 series drives that is a connector for the Modbus RS-485 network and could be easily mistaken for an Ethernet jack.

You must have a 22-COMM-E module (or 22-XCOMM external module) to connect a PowerFlex 4/40/400 drive to an EtherNet/IP network.

Chapter 3 of the 22-COMM-E User Manual (publication 22-COMM-UM004) explains how to set the IP address using drive parameters.

Direct link to the user manual:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/22comm-um004_-en-p.pdf

Don't you just love A-B for putting RJ-45 sockets on the PF drives ?

Oh yeah, and the 1756-CNB modules !

Anywhere else ??

The supposed PLC GUY that was here when i was hired had a direct logic processor from AD and had a POTS phone line plugged into the little RJ-11 Serial port and he was looking on the AD site for a manual to configure a phone number for the internal modem. He bought this for a small machine that the company wanted remote diagnostics on.

I was 18 and green as grass as far as plc's and i knew better than that.

After about 10 minutes with the manual i showed him that the jack was the serial port for programmng.

Yes I do have 22-comm-e and I was looking in to the manual for 22-comm-e but for some reason I cannot find IP address to input into the BOOTP. Do I need to create my own IP address for the Drive?

Thanks so much for your help.

Aaron

BOOTP is a software utility that is run from a PC. You need the MAC ID from the 22-comm-e card. Then you can assign an IP address to the 22-comm-e card with the MAC ID that is displayed in the BOOTP utility.

Yes I do have 22-comm-e and I was looking in to the manual for 22-comm-e but for some reason I cannot find IP address to input into the BOOTP. Do I need to create my own IP address for the Drive?

Thanks so much for your help.

Aaron

The BootP-DHCP Utility is usually installed under the Rockwell Software Program Directory. I would assign a Static IP for the 22-COMM-E. Assigning the IP is covered in Section 3-5 of the User Manual 22-COMM-UM004B-EN-P available at the AB Literature Web Site.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webassets/browse_category.hcst

Stu......

Thank you for your quick reply.
When I connect my computer to 22-comm-e on the drive, MAC address is automatically transferred in to the BOOTP software. So do I need to just enter random numbers as IP address for each drive I configured? If you don’t mind can you show me sample MAC address and IP address and how they are related?

Thanks,

Aaron

Thank you for your quick reply.
When I connect my computer to 22-comm-e on the drive, MAC address is automatically transferred in to the BOOTP software. So do I need to just enter random numbers as IP address for each drive I configured? If you don’t mind can you show me sample MAC address and IP address and how they are related?

Thanks,

Aaron

Mac Address:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

You should assign an IP Address that is unique, and on the same Subnet as the other PLCs, and PCs etc that you want to communicate with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnet_Mask

A typical address for what is known as a Class C Subnet is;

192.168.1.32 with a Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0

This means it can communicate with any address that starts with
192.168.1 without going though a Router or Gateway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4

What is going to be communicating with the PF40? What IP addresses and Subnet Mask do they have?

Stu.....

For now I am trying connect the drive through Ethernet IP to my computer in order to communicate it to RSlinx utility. After Rslinx communication, I want to setup communication from power flex 40 to SLC 505 processor.

Thank you for all the information.

Aaron

For now I am trying connect the drive through Ethernet IP to my computer in order to communicate it to RSlinx utility. After Rslinx communication, I want to setup communication from power flex 40 to SLC 505 processor.

Thank you for all the information.

Aaron

If you are not using a Ethernet Hub or Switch between the PF40 and PC, you will need a Crossover Ethernet Cable.

Stu.....

Yes I am using a cross over cable. My problem lies on setting up the IP address and Gateway in BOOTP. I wish some one will give me step by step instruction how to complete this task. I do not know much about computer networking.

Thank you all for your help and is highly appreciated.

Aaron

Yes I am using a cross over cable. My problem lies on setting up the IP address and Gateway in BOOTP. I wish some one will give me step by step instruction how to complete this task. I do not know much about computer networking.

Thank you all for your help and is highly appreciated.

Aaron

Go to Section 3-5 of the Manual, turn off BootP, and following the instructions enter the IP into the Parameters. Lets go with 192.168.1.10 and a Netmask of 255.255.255.0. Then go to the Ethernet Port Setup on your PC, and set it to an IP of 192.168.1.9 and a Netmask of 255.255.255.0. Don't worry about a Gateway, leave it blank. I can't give you any instruction on setting your PC IP, because you have not stated what Version and Service Pack of presumably Windows you are using. They all are a little different. You will have no problems getting step by step instructions for that if you Google it.

Stu.....