Need a good VPN router for remote connect to PLC

khelza

Hi guys!

My company wants to start offering remote PLC support to our customers.

Currently, we use software called LogMeIn, which we can remotely connect to other users and gain control of the PC. This is helpful for when a coworker is on site and needs assistance with programming or software. We log into their PC and can take over from there. However, this is not useful if there is no one onsite available who knows how to connect PC to PLC or use the software.

The goal is to find a VPN router that we can put into a plant, preferably an all-in-one router/modem/switch (wired or wireless) with data (cable, dsl, or cellular).

I have looked into products and services like ewo*, but we would rather not pay for a service or a third party to provide what we could possibly do ourselves.

At that point, we would either hardwire all PLCs to the switch, or connect them wirelessly (would need some sort of adapter for the PLC to pick up a wifi signal - is this even possible?) Then, configure our office VPN to talk to the plants VPN and badda bing!

Any recommendation welcomed! 🍻

Last edited:
I did mention ewo* (I put an asterisk because it wouldn't let me write it), but I wanted to stay away from paid services.

the ********** can be used without having to pay for the service as well.
Your biggest difficulty, will be in how your chosen router thingy will be connected to the outside world.
Will you use Cellular, your own internet connection at the customer site, or work with the customer to utilise their internet connection?

The latter is by far the best, as it allows the customer to manage who connects to their equipment, as well as no dedicated cost to yourself for something that may not be used that often.
You can still use your own router to manage, if you can develop a relationship with the networking department

This product was designed to do exactly what you are looking for. If you’re not familiar with Spectrum Controls they have been an Allen Bradley Encompass Partner longer than the program has been around and have an outstanding reputation for quality products (no I don’t work there. I just like the company).
http://www.spectrumcontrols.com/webport.htm

I did mention ewo* (I put an asterisk because it wouldn't let me write it), but I wanted to stay away from paid services.

The **** has a standard service that is free.

It works great. We use the Cosy131 & 141 and I highly recommend them. No need to mess with anyone's VPN.
Simply supply the unit with an internet connection (wifi/lan/cellular) and done!

Unbelievably easy, but once you start installing them in panels you don't want to be without it.

I used the E W O N unit years ago when it was branded as Spectrum Controls. That unit worked pretty well. Once Spectrum created their own version, we tested it out, but I was unimpressed with the performance. Took a long time to connect to a PLC and get online with it. Couldn't RDP into a server either because of how slow it was. That was 2 years ago, so hopefully they improved it.

I have used the mGuard from Phoenix Contact and have been pretty happy with it. It's a bit more to configure, primarily because certificates need to be generated and applied but makes for a very secure setup. There is some licensing costs associated with it depending on what architecture you wish to use.

I was happy with the performance of that VPN, have done a lot of PLC edits and SCADA edits through the device. Some lag is to be expected but overall I would use it again.

The **** has a standard service that is free.

It works great. We use the Cosy131 & 141 and I highly recommend them. No need to mess with anyone's VPN.
Simply supply the unit with an internet connection (wifi/lan/cellular) and done!

Unbelievably easy, but once you start installing them in panels you don't want to be without it.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just wondering, if it's on a plant floor where there are say 20+ machines, wouldn't that not be economic to have one in every panel?

How would a PLC pick up the WiFi internet signal if it only has ethernet or serial connections?

The PLC has a hardwired connection (CAT5 Ethernet) to the Secomea. The WiFi is used to connect to the facilities WiFi network without having to run wiring out to the control panel. If you don't have a good WiFi signal hardwire the unit into the plants Ethernet network connected to the Internet.

Teltonika RUT500 is a 3G router packed with options.
You can set it up to have internet via its WAN port and 3G as a fallback. You can also set it only with 3G. It supports OpenVPN and it literaly takes 15 minutes to set up a VPN in bridge mode. It can work with dyndns services so that you dont need static IPs in any of your connections. You can reboot it by sending an SMS. Finally you can send SMS using http post and get methods.
When I found out about it, I stopped using the ridiculously expensive Scalance from siemens, and I also stopped using Serial modems for SMS. We use it for gprs networks, teleservice and also as 3G router to share internet at holidays :).
It has a roubust alluminium case, you can have it with a din rail mount. All that for under 200 euros. There is also a 4G version.