Windows XP - How do you view what is on a PCMCIA card ?

Good Afternoon ,

Dumb question..... I have a Windows XP Laptop and a PCMCIA slot that I believe is active. I have an adaptor with a small card in it with some files on it.
My question is , how do you actually view these files ? I guess it is not like My Computer , that you double click and open the contents .

How do you actually view those files ?

Thanks in advance ,

In general if the memory card is formatted with a Windows-compatible file system, it really is as simple as My Computer -> Drive -> Files and Folders.

Some embedded systems use a card that's not compatible with modern PC Card interfaces (like linear flash) or use hidden partitions or non-Windows-compatible file systems.

Is the "small card" a CompactFlash card ?

What kind of system or controller is it used with ?

I don't have a PCMCIA/PC Card slot in any of my laptops, so I use a USB multi-card reader. I bought this one last week in anticipation of doing a bunch of DataStation units with CompactFlash cards:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ARAH6O0

In the case of the DataStation the cards are simple FAT16 formatting with an ordinary file system, so they are easy to read. Some other cards, like the old hidden-partition cards from a PanelView Plus, are less easy.

Thanks so much for the information . The small compact flash card is for a Fanuc Robot . Another dumb question , we have a PLC 5 that we can only communicate with a PCMCIA adaptor for a cable . The reader that you purchased from Amazon , could that communicate with a PLC 5 , possibly ?

Thanks

The reader I got off Amazon is not a general purpose USB to PCMCIA converter; it's a multipurpose memory card reader.

Unfortunately there's never been a really well tested USB/PCMCIA converter that works with the 1784-PCMK card, and the need for them is technically filled by the well-supported 1784-U2DHP.

There was a product made by a company called "Duel Systems" that you could buy a few years ago that was reported to work by a few folks, but it was never supported by Rockwell Automation.