Terminator IO Profibus Base

electro89

Hi All,

I have an application where I am connecting a Terminator I/O Profibus base (T1H-PBC) to our CTI-2500 (Ti545/Siemens 505) PLC. Added the GSD file, everything connects ok. The issue I'm having is with the thermocouple card (T1F-14THM). According to the manual, each channel should give me a double word; one word for temp, one word for sign and burnout detection.

When adding the card in the Profibus configurator, I'm only given the option to assign 16 words when I'd expect to be reading 32. I found some information online about achieving this through Modbus with another PLC, and each channel gave a double word.

In our case, we have WX100 assigned to Ch.1 temperature, WX101 to Ch.2 temp, etc., but I'd expect to have WX100 to Ch.1 temp, WX101 to Ch.1 status, WX102 to Ch.2 temp, etc.

All temperatures are reading ok on each channel so it's almost as if this mystery second word doesn't exist despite what the manual says.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Post the GSD file here... you can rename the file to have .txt at the end in order to post it.

I've attached the GSD file, and also a screenshot of what the Profibus Configurator looks like in 505 Workshop. The module in the first slot is automatically loaded when adding the slave (it's used to send a couple controls to the Profibus slave), and the second slot is what I added for the thermocouple card, showing that there are 16 words that can be assigned.

One thing worth noting is that when I add the GSD file I get the following error:

An unknown keyword 'FixPresetModules' has been encountered and ignored.
File: AUTD0607.GSD
Line Number: 255
The GSD file AUTD0607.GSD was parsed to completion, but contained 1 warning(s).​

ProfiConfig.png

Attachments

• AUTD0607.txt
    10.6 KB · Views: 14
Looking at this line:

Module="T1F-14THM 14CH THERMOCOUPLE" 0x5F

and comparing to other GSD files, the hex code 0x5F means 32 BYTES of input.

There is a chance of extra information in GSD text files that some Profibus master configuration software may not interpret.

Hello

Tried your GSD file with three different profibus configurators and they all show 16 words input.
So it looks like that you don,t have any more options with this module installed in that type of base. when the temperature values would be stored in 8 bits (byte) then the max temperature would be 255 degrees celcius or +128 -128 when the signed bit would not be used. But this is hard to say without having read the manual.

Attached are some screenshots from the different kind of profibus configurators. The message you get has probably something to do with the version or workshop. The latest one is V5.00 but the screenshot is taken in 4.81

Kind regards
Henny

Hello

Tried your GSD file with three different profibus configurators and they all show 16 words input.
So it looks like that you don,t have any more options with this module installed in that type of base. when the temperature values would be stored in 8 bits (byte) then the max temperature would be 255 degrees celcius or +128 -128 when the signed bit would not be used. But this is hard to say without having read the manual.

Attached are some screenshots from the different kind of profibus configurators. The message you get has probably something to do with the version or workshop. The latest one is V5.00 but the screenshot is taken in 4.81

Kind regards
Henny

Thanks for loading those in to check the word count. The screenshots you posted are only showing me a black box for some reason but regardless, it's good to know the same thing happens in other Profibus Configurators.

The funny thing about the manual is that there seems to be 2 versions of what we're supposed to be reading, neither of which match what I'm seeing.

1. Page 6-14 - says 16 input bits and 16 input words
https://cdn.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/t1hdmm/ch6.pdf

2. Page 3-99 - Similar to what was received with the product.
https://cdn.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/t1kinstm/t1kinstm.pdf

The tech I was speaking with from Automation Direct said he will get in contact with their development team so I'm currently waiting to hear back.

Last edited:
Hello

Attached the screenshots again and hopefully they are visible now?
Problem was the the file size was more the 300 kb.

What are the values in the 15e and 16e WX adress because they are not used?
does one of these 2 spare words contain the 16 discrete inputs as mentioned in 6-14?

And of course you would be interested in the status words from these channels to take certain actions in case of a damaged thermocouple.

Kind regards
Henny

comprofibus.jpg workshop_V481.jpg siemens.jpg

Yep that time they seemed to work.

Word 15 is the status of the physical jumper settings of that module and 16 is the CJC temperature compensation value.

Hello

Would be Nice for testing if you had 505-7202 FIM card ( this card can be put in every 505 base and takes it,s power from the backplane and it acts like a RBC module on the rs485 site) to see how many word io this FIM would Read ( 16 or 32) on the Cti site you can find Some info about this older card in the application nodes regarding coros panels.

Curious what automation direct has to say about this.

Kind regards
Henny