RSI developing software

Not really Boyo. It is more likely the Europeans forcing their way of doing things on the rest of the world. If you do not have IEC software in Europe it is very hard to sell a PLC. I much prefer US style software. Wish I could go back to some of the old DOS stuff sometimes but a lot of software is getting better and at least with windows copy and paste works generally pretty well.
Generally, I describe it as "good for factory fiddlers". And before I get someones knickers in a knot, I am not referring to the majority of, obviously, very competent maintenance personel that contribute to this and other sites.
It is just that it is extremely painful to use IEC for fast software development. The last very large job I designed I programmed 9 networked PLCs in 7 weeks, plus a 3500 tag Citect SCADA system. Had the programming software, Citect, Word, Excel, Paint Shop Pro and the internet open all the time and switched from one to the other, copying, pasting and converting graphics files. Pretty hard to do with drag and drop. Quite easy with copy, paste and modify.
Made good money too.
beerchug

IEC is from Europe.

Europe equals "standard" whether it is better or not.
European Standards are compromises never ideal.
Europe has a way of thinking they are doing something better, when all they are doing is making jobs for others. And they see that as a good thing.

As long as the software has IEC compatible something, it is in.
Most of the time IEC is optional. Even in Siemens, there is a whole list of IEC functions, but you don't have to use any of them.

Europe.............glad I wasn't born there, glad I don't have to work there.