Difference between simatic S7 and PCS7

amhd90

What is the difference between regular simatic S7 software, and PCS7 ? Are they the same ?
I have the 2, and I am bit confused what one to start with to learn Siemens PLC programmings and designs.
PCS7 has some siemens courses on siemens website.
Please let your answer be understandable by PLC newbies like me :ROFLMAO: .

What is the difference between regular simatic S7 software, and PCS7 ? Are they the same ?
I have the 2, and I am bit confused what one to start with to learn Siemens PLC programmings and designs.
PCS7 has some siemens courses on siemens website.
Please let your answer be understandable by PLC newbies like me :ROFLMAO: .

Simatic Manager/S7 is a PLC programming package, which could be combined with a SCADA or HMI package to allow for control. You can program whatever you want, but it doesn't do much to get you pointed in the right direction.

PCS7 is a DCS (distributed control system), which includes HMI, PLC, IO, ETC. These tools are typically used in Process facilities, like chemical plants, oil refineries, etc.

PCS7 combines S7 v5.5 and WinCC SCADA, and adds a bunch of extra stuff to integrate them. It makes the code very structured, based on the idea of a Process Object, which is one motor, one valve, etc. The PO includes all the values for that objects, including setpoints, actual values, temperature, runtime, maintenance data, etc. It includes libraries with both code for common types of objects, as well as HMI faceplates that automatically link to them. It allows you to organize these process objects by the area of the plant they are in, so you can easily monitor how your plant is performing.

The difference between PLC + SCADA and DCS is more historical then practical. Now, both types of systems can do most of the same things, but 20-30 years ago the differences were much bigger. The difference now is mostly on the approach to programming, and how the customer wants to think about his solution.

The PCS7 automation hardware is a S7-400 PLC.

You cannot treat it as a normal PLC though, everything must be done via the PCS7 interface, if you don't follow the PCS7 rules you would have to do a complete download with the system in STOP.

Is there provision within the PCS7 architecture for self contained control systems e.g. running on a S7-200 with HMI? We have an enquiry where the customer wants a PCS7 based control system but really it is way over the top for our simple compressor package (not to mention we have no experience with it). If it was possible to nicely integrate our system with the higher level PCS7 to me that would be a better solution all round.

Is there provision within the PCS7 architecture for self contained control systems e.g. running on a S7-200 with HMI? We have an enquiry where the customer wants a PCS7 based control system but really it is way over the top for our simple compressor package (not to mention we have no experience with it). If it was possible to nicely integrate our system with the higher level PCS7 to me that would be a better solution all round.

I know there is a way to integrate an S7-300. I think the feature is called something like the "industry library"? I haven't worked with it in a long time.

If you want the smaller PLC to actually be integrated, my guess is that you would need it to be a PLC supported by Simatic Manager, so probably not the S7-200. However, if the smaller system is mostly standalone, you could maybe just communicate to the PCS7 system and not worry about integrating it.