rs logix 500 question

Hi guys,

i have a small problem to sort out.i have written a program in RS logix 500 software to find the position(in metres) of a moving wheel from the starting point. Now i need to make available this position(the integer value)on to the computer network(for eg.TCP/IP).How can i do it? If it's unclear plz let me know. i can explain further.

Thanks in advance

Arunjose

N.B: I am using AB Micrologix 1000 PLC and RS logix 500 starter edition software.

I think we may need some more info here.

Has is the data coming in now, is it an encoder? What Type?

How to you want the data to be displayed, in degrees?

Never mind my first post.

You can look at the values using RSLinx, but you will need something besides RSLinx Lite.

There also also other packages that might work. Some of them have a 30 trial period. Hopefully othere members can add to this reply about those other packages.

Here is a program that I've been playing with. It reads from the plc over serial line using the df1 protocol and runs as a daemon ( service ) opening tcp/ip port 17560. A sample php script comes with the package and it's free.

www.tuxplc.net

The web site says it works with SLC-500 and PLC5. For a free program it would be worth the download to see if it works with your micrologix.

BTW, the windows version is written in Delphi (pascal). You may have to hack it a bit. Also I don't think it has the network socket capability.

castlerock said:
The web site says it works with SLC-500 and PLC5. For a free program it would be worth the download to see if it works with your micrologix.

Just tried it on a micro1000 got a 'Error:-9', But it may just be me

geniusintraining said:
Just tried it on a micro1000 got a 'Error:-9', But it may just be me

Bummer. Well, maybe when I have a few bucks to spare, I'll send the developer a micrologix to play with. =]

Thanks for the info.

If you have RSLInx pro or gateway on a PC that is also on the ethernet network, you can leave it connected to the PLC and use DDE to extract the data via RSLinx. It's even possible to read the PLC data from another PC on the ethernet network (if it has RSLinx pro or gateway) by bridging through the PC that contains the RSLinx driver which talks to the PLC.

Tell us more about the SLC you're talking to. How is it networked now (if it is)? What type of SLC is it? (503, 04, 05 ... DH485, DH+, Ethernet)

OkiePC said:
If you have RSLInx pro or gateway on a PC that is also on the ethernet network, you can leave it connected to the PLC and use DDE to extract the data via RSLinx.

hi Okiepc,

i have RsLinx Classic Lite in my p.c. will this work? if this works can u plz tell me what is DDE and how to extract the data via RSLinx step by step.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with RSLinx Classic. It looks like all the old versions have been replaced with Enterprise and Classic? Or are they just two more ver$ions to throw on the RSoftware heap?

Here's the book ...
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/gr/linx-gr001_-en-e.pdf

There's a whole chapter on the subject (4).
I'll give some general instructions since the specific ones may be different now. RSLinx acts as a DDE server. It gathers PLC data and stores the data in a collection called a DDE Topic. Usually you create a Topic for each PLC on the network. Then, you can browse to the data you want to monitor, and Copy a DDE Link.

Go to the client application where you want to use the data. MSAccess, MSExcel, or any application that supports DDE and pasting a link. Paste the link there. You can manually enter the links without pasting if your PC app doesn't support that. The syntax is a booger though.

Using Excel is easy because most of us are familiar with it and you can easily paste a link copied from RSLinx. Excel can be quirky, especially when you start using DDE poke to write data from the PC to the PLC.

Sorry but "Classic Lite" is still "Lite" so you'll get no DDE or OPC.

More money needed for a "full" version .:mad: