Does Anyone Know Motorola PLC?

Motorola PLC RTU FIU MOSCAD ACE

Bluenoser337,

I realize this post is now about 12 years old, and I'm sure you've figured out whatever issue you were having. I've been searching PLC forums for a good resource on Motorola PLC programming and haven't found many experts in the field. If anyone has any questions I would be more than happy to answer them here. I'll try to keep an eye out for Motorola questions on this forum.

I am an expert in Motorola programming and work closely with several other radio and Motorola PLC RTU FIU experts. You can always feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected] with any Motorola PLC questions. I can help with a quick answer or direct you to the correct resources if it is something requiring significant time or resources.

Hello DavidBurg...yes it has been a while. We installed a few dozen of the RTUs in the years following that post. I did receive training on the programming including communications over UHF. We discontinued using this brand solely because the Motorola tech support people wouldn't communicate directly to us as integrators. Tech support questions had to go through a certified VAR, so replies took many days to receive...if they were ever received. :confused: Not good when a system is down or an installation is stalled. Thanks for the info. We still service what we installed.

Yes, the Motorola support is less than ideal. Its a shame because they have some strong products but most are not comfortable using them without a support team available.

If you do have trouble with any of the units that you've installed we are a Motorola VAR.
I don't want to advertise here and break any rules, but if you get in a pinch and you need a VAR feel free to reach out and I can certainly help or point you in the right direction.

Hello DavidBurg. I am a VAR in CT and agree that support is difficult. I have a question regarding the ACE3600 IP Gateway if you have used it. I am only familiar with the GFIU/GRTU. I don't have the hardware but can a 3680 CPU be upgraded with the Gateway firmware? Also can the GRTU send data to the Gateway on a COS?

Thanks

I'll never understand why Motorola treats integrators so poorly. In many cases, we spec the equipment, promote the equipment, buy the equipment, install the equipment, program the equipment and troubleshoot the equipment. You think they would want to support our efforts?! As much as I like the ACE3600 platform, we had to drop it. If the VARS can't get support (and we've experienced that, too), we don't stand a chance. o_O