RSLogix 5000: PI vs PID vs PIDE

Paul351W

Can anyone give me a brief overview of what the key differences are between the PID ladder instruction and the PI & PIDE function block instructions?

I have a project coming up that will require me to use a Controllogix to do a speed control loop on a drive that runs in torque control mode and I was investigating options for the speed controller. I found the 1756-rm006 file on the Literature Library, but it only describes each instruction individually, and does not compare them to each other, at least not very obviously.

The FB language supports a PI instruction. The PI instruction has some unique capabilities, including gain shaping. I used it only once for a pesky loop that proved difficult to control without gain shaping. Refer to the online help for more information on this instruction.