Automation using PLC

QasimFSH

Hi All,

I am looking to automate an office which has got three different levels. Mostly, there are power points at every level (lights are connected via power points only), and I want to monitor and control the power consumption of every power socket. I also want this to be done remotely, maybe via server, which can be accessed only by authorised personnel.

How can this be done? I guess I will require wireless communication between by power sockets and the PLC, but I am just finding it hard to start off from some point. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Micro800 are reasonably cheap. They support analogue inputs and ethernet.
Also as far as I know the software is free.

The software is free, but there is talk that a paid version with proper support will come out. The differences aren't that clear to me, but being Rockwell I can see it becoming a smart relay as the other bits of kit they have.

However, my comment is more along the lines of the scaling up... the PLC itself isn't really that expensive, but everything else to talk to it will be as home automation protocols aren't really supported by PLC's and equipment like sensors and so on are typically more expensive because they are generally used in industry.

So I guess im a little confused on what you are doing... by "level" 3 story building? and "control" every socket, is this turn on and off?

Are you making a energy management system? and how accurate do you need to be on the monitor side?

This reading the current and a 4/20 out to your PLC would be a option http://kiscurrentsensors.com/model_420l

So I guess im a little confused on what you are doing... by "level" 3 story building? and "control" every socket, is this turn on and off?

Are you making a energy management system? and how accurate do you need to be on the monitor side?

This building has got three floors, ground, first and second, this is what I meant by three levels.

Yes, it is basically for energy management. I want to be able to monitor the usage of energy from every power socket, as well as stop the power supply to the socket, if I wish to.

Hi Guys,

Thanks everyone for their valuable input. Cost is not a major hurdle. We can afford around $2500-3000 for this, or maybe stretch a bit more as well. Its more of that it needs to be done, and done reliably.

Last edited:
Maybe something like this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Link2Ho...-Appliances-and-Electronics-EM-1001/301388714

There are many different types on the market... if needed you could hack into the remote and control that with the PLC, notice I did say hack

As much as I love your idea of hacking into the remote of these devices, I have no clue how to hack into them :/ Probably the only way is hit n trial, but hacking into such a device means it cannot really be used as commercial product or maybe even for my own office, as we are an engineering company

Hi Guys,

Thanks everyone for their valuable input. Cost is not a major hurdle. We can afford around $2500-3000 for this, or maybe stretch a bit more as well. Its more of that it needs to be done, and done reliably.

Three floors of office building... monitor each socket... 3000$ with industrial equipment... yeah, sorry to say but that will be impossible.

Did you mean socket circuit instead?

This reading the current and a 4/20 out to your PLC would be a option http://kiscurrentsensors.com/model_420l

So if you have a main electrical room you could add above and read with the PLC so you could know your current draw to each breaker but that would be about it.... for 3k you dont have many options and your budget will be sucked up quick

I have done several large energy audits, one save the company about 50k per month in gas usage but 3k would not even cover the audit

Seems like a "smart home" setup with a PC and app is a better set up for this application.
Sockets and lights controlled and monitored over wifi, with a pc and app.
And something similar to IFTTT to control.
A plc setup would be bulky, lots of analog inputs, lots of outputs to control sockets, and several contactors for socket control too.

Three floors of office building... monitor each socket... 3000$ with industrial equipment... yeah, sorry to say but that will be impossible.

Did you mean socket circuit instead?

I have realized the same thing now, and I am planning to make the calculations according to each tenancy ( each tenancy has got its own distributed switchboard). I am looking into different power meters now, which can support Modbus and/or Modbus tcp/ip communication, in order to connect it with my PLC.

What do you recommend?