Accessing Siemens S7200 data through 243-1 IT for HTML page?

jky

Hi,

I have a Siemens S7-224 plc with a CP243-1 IT ethernet module. I am trying to write some HTML pages so that plc info can be monitored over the web.

I am struggling to find how to access data bits on the plc to bring through to a web page. An sample HTML code for the status of an input or output would be great.

The documentation suggests that it can be done, but it all seems quite confusing, especially seeing as I am a newbie to HTML!

Thanks very much!

J

jky said:
Hi,
I have a Siemens S7-224 plc with a CP243-1 IT ethernet module. I am trying to write some HTML pages so that plc info can be monitored over the web.

I am struggling to find how to access data bits on the plc to bring through to a web page. An sample HTML code for the status of an input or output would be great.

The documentation suggests that it can be done, but it all seems quite confusing, especially seeing as I am a newbie to HTML!
J

Unless the module has a built-in web server, it's unlikely that you can do this in pure HTML. I haven't played with Siemens so I can't say for sure, but you'll probably need to use PHP or embedded Javascript so you'll have the network socket interface you'll need.

However; if you know VB or any other high level language, you could write a program to generate the HTML code using the free library libnodave. I've heard good things about this library dispite it's low version number.

Good luck.

Thanks castlerock. The module does actually have a built-in web server. Data is supposedly accessed via an applet and the code is something like this:

<APPLET CODE=”de.siemens.simaticnet.itcp.applets.S7StatusApplet.class”
ARCHIVE=”s7applets.jar, s7api.jar” NAME=”s7_status_3” WIDTH=80
HEIGHT=20>
<PARAM name=”RACK” value=0>
<PARAM name=”SLOT” value=3>
<PARAM name=”CYCLETIME” value=5000>
<PARAM name=”BACKGROUNDCOLOR” value=”0xFFFFFF”>
<PARAM name=”EDIT” value=”true”>
</APPLET>
...which is supposed to give the status of "rack 0", "slot 3" ...though I can't get it to do anything, which is the problem.

Thanks for the reply.

jky said:
<APPLET CODE=”de.siemens.simaticnet.itcp.applets.S7StatusApplet.class”
ARCHIVE=”s7applets.jar, s7api.jar” NAME=”s7_status_3” WIDTH=80
HEIGHT=20>
<PARAM name=”RACK” value=0>
<PARAM name=”SLOT” value=3>
<PARAM name=”CYCLETIME” value=5000>
<PARAM name=”BACKGROUNDCOLOR” value=”0xFFFFFF”>
<PARAM name=”EDIT” value=”true”>
</APPLET>

the code looks good from what i can tell, though i'm no HTML guru. this may seem very obvious but i have to ask...do you have java installed on the machine you are running this from ?

i'm sure you do, but since you say you are new to this and its not doing anything at all, i had to ask the question.

doh! what was i thinking. java should be installed on the server side (the card), not the client. since it comes with java runtime files and libraries, everything is very likely setup on the card already if Siemens has a license to distribute java with the unit. if not, you may have to install it via ftp.

short of a typo, it should just work when you drop your HTML file into the webroot directory. it may be worth exploring this unit using ftp.

As far as I know everything is set up on the server, as Siemens have some sample pages pre-installed on it. Looking in via ftp it contains the applets that I supposedly require.

Been busy getting something out of the way, but finished now, so I can get stuck into this HTML.

i wish i had one of these to play with. i did some research on the web and it looks like a very flexable comm unit.

i wish i knew more about this particular piece of hardware...but i've had my share of web server issues. =]

the only good advice i can recommend is to check the error log file for the web server. that always points me in the right direction when i'm having trouble getting web based software working.