Keyence SR-1000 on a MicroLogix vs CompactLogix?

rupej

I have a customer that wants to install a barcode scanner to read labels coming out of a label machine just before they are put on bottles going down a conveyor.

The idea is to have the operator enter the expected UPC code on an HMI, and if the SR-1000 sees any label that does not have that same code, to shut down the line. This would prevent the wrong label being put on the bottle.

The labeling machine has a MicroLogix 1400, but I'm wondering if there are are any add-on instructions available for Studio 5000 that would make this much easier? Does anyone have any experience with that? It would be pretty easy to stick in a new 5380 CompactLogix if it so. The Keyence site to download manuals and sample code is down right now.

Also, if it's possible, I'd like to set the barcode scanner to automatically scan as fast as possible at all times to increase the chance of catching each label- is that something that works or do I need to figure out a way to trigger it with every label coming by?

Thanks in advance- this will be my first time playing with packaging equipment. (y)

Last edited:
I routinely interface SR-1000 to Compactlogix (4 as we speak). Very easy to interface, you'll need their Auto ID Network Navigator to set your device up but its very straight forward. No AOI but you could roll your own. You can set it up to read multiples very quickly.

I haven't used it with a ML1400 or if I have its been a very long time and I don't recall any difficulty.

The idea is to have the operator enter the expected UPC code on an HMI, and if the SR-1000 sees any label that does not have that same code, to shut down the line:

Sounds dramatic! Could you not just eject it into a scrap bin?

Sounds dramatic! Could you not just eject it into a scrap bin?

We shut down on a wrong code as well.(Pharma)

Might be a similar process where if the barcode is wrong something has gone horribly wrong somewhere and product quality could be impacted.

Keyence scanners are CompactLogix do play nicely and set up in no time.
Setting it up on a Micrologix is a little more cumbersome due to the messaging structure, but still works.

In my experience with most scanners we install a button on the screen or a push button to train the scanner on the correct code. I've found that to be more reliable than having operators manually punch in all of the numbers from a barcode on a hmi. This also eliminates the additional messaging needed and allows you to keep the interface between a Micro and SR to just discrete i/o.

Or just get really wild and add a hand held scanner to send info to the SR! I've had more customer requests for that over the past year or two.

In my experience with most scanners we install a button on the screen or a push button to train the scanner on the correct code. I've found that to be more reliable than having operators manually punch in all of the numbers from a barcode on a hmi. This also eliminates the additional messaging needed and allows you to keep the interface between a Micro and SR to just discrete i/o.

Oh wow, I didn't realize that was possible. In that mode, could the SR scan continuously, as fast as possible, and keep an output held as long as the last scan was a good code, and then turn the output off when it wasn't? That would eliminate a lot of screwing around with the code!

Last edited:
The SR1000 is pretty fast, so the best thing to do is make sure it's tuned and people aren't moving it all day. If you're reading the label when it's stopped, you can resize the field of view which will speed things up as well.
If it's moving, you'll want to set it up in a burst or continuous mode to help find the code. I do believe there are settings to help with moving targets in the AutoID navigator so be sure to look into that.

As for keeping the output high - someone could just jump the pass input on the plc and force everything to pass. My preference is assuming every label is bad until a signal from my inspection device tells me it is good, and that signal must go high during my inspection window.

How are you guys verifying it is the correct code after being scanned? Are you just getting a good part signal from scanner or verifying code is correct in the PLC?

Last edited:
How are you guys verifying it is the correct code after being scanned? Are you just getting a good part signal from scanner or verifying code is correct in the PLC?

I'm usually interacting with the plant's database server, I send up the serial number and it replies if the product is at the correct mfg station or that its a previous reject.

I have it set up via ethernet with a compact logix. After the scan how do I interpret the numbers from the scanner to the PLC?(PLC side) Is that a string?

I have it set up via ethernet with a compact logix. After the scan how do I interpret the numbers from the scanner to the PLC?(PLC side) Is that a string?

I usually have the scanner send back the barcode string that it read over ethernet back to the PLC and do a comparison in the PLC.

I think you can also train it to read a certain barcode and have it send a pass/fail bit.

Keyence usually allows you to configure their devices a few different ways depending on the application. I would highly recommend getting the SR-1000 manual from their website and look through chapter 13 (PLC Link Overview) and chapter 14 (Ethernet I/P Overview) to get a better understanding of how it can communicate.

With more intelligent devices such as this, there are many options for how you can configure it for your application. So unfortunately the response to your question is usually going to be some variation of RTFM. Luckily Keyence makes excellent manuals.

Last edited:
How did you get the scanner to send back the string it read?
I look in SR:I.Data[44] and nothing shows... any ideas?

If you look in the SR-1000 user manual, it describes how to add the SR-1000 to a compactlogix processor (make sure input/output assembly instance are the correct size), and goes on to tell you that the read data starts at word 22. There are also a lot of handshaking bits that must be properly programmed (pg 76 and 82).

If you go on Keyence's website, download the user manual as this is critical to have when programming these so you know how all of the data is mapped over ethernet. They also have some example programs for your particular PLC. They do everything except write the program for you, their documentation is really pretty good.

Start by just triggering the SR-1000, make sure you can get it to read, then once you've established at least that level of communication, the rest is pretty straightforward if you use the manual.

I have the scanner triggering and I get the "read complete" and its not showing a "read fail" so thats working but I'm not seeing the code come over. Should be a 6 digit number. Curious if you had this issue before?

I have the scanner triggering and I get the "read complete" and its not showing a "read fail" so thats working but I'm not seeing the code come over. Should be a 6 digit number. Curious if you had this issue before?

Are you triggering the camera over ethernet? Or is the trigger hardwired?

If over ethernet, what is the assembly instance size for input and output? In RSLogix 5000, have you added the camera as a generic ethernet module? Can you see it in the IO configuration?
If you can, when you open up controller tags and go to the SR-1000's data area, you don't see any data coming in there? Did you also configure the SR-1000 using AutoID Network Navigator?