Genius and the HHM

bluenoser337

Hi: I am sitting here with a GE Fanuc Genius remote input base and electronic block. I have the handheld programmer (HHM). I need to set the bus address on the "new" base to match a failed base. I think I see how to change that number but I don't know how to find out what the old unit's address was. Is there a way to tell from the program? I have the program and Proficy ME but very little GE experience. Thanks in advance!! RB

Look at the hardware configuration for the PLC. Drill down into the Genius Bus Controller. That will give you a list of all the Genius devices on the network. Connect the HHM to the network and scroll through the active devices on the bus. The block that appears in the hardware configuration but not when you scan the bus with the HHM is the failed one. You might also find a "Loss of device error" in the PLC's I/O fault tables.

When you assign the Genius bus address to the new block don't connect it to the rest of the Genius bus. Just power it up and connect the HHM to it. My experience has been that it is easier to get the block to accept the new SBA when it is not connected to the bus.
Have you developed a migration plan for when Genius blocks are no longer available?