PowerFlex755 on DeviceNet Timeout erre

NickG123

I replaced a couple of 1336 Plus II drives with PowerFlex755 drives on my DeviceNet Network. The drives are functioning fine on the network but as soon as I try to go online with the drive through the network I get a Net I/0 Time. Any Suggestions?

14037 Net IO Timeout

Configurable 52 [DLX Prog Cond]

DeviceLogix has been disabled.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

What is the scanning device (1747-SDN, 1756-DNB, etc) ?

Are you connecting to the DeviceNet network by passing through a PLC backplane module, or via a direct connection like a 1784-U2DN or 1770-KFD ?

How large and how busy is the network ?

Have you assessed the network for signal problems ?

In general, class 3 messaging like "going online with a drive" is by design a lower priority than Class 1 I/O messaging, and should perform more slowly rather than delaying the I/O messages.

And even the old 1203-GK5, and certainly the 20-COMM-D, can easily handle unconnected messages (parameter upload/dowload/monitoring is done through the Unconnected Message Manager (UCMM) object) without faulting the I/O connection.

But networks that are already heavily loaded or have signal problems that already generate a lot of retries, could collapse under the load of even light-duty messaging like going onine with a drive.

Hi Ken,

Long time no read...

I'm off home but I was thinking maybe our friend could clarify what "through the network" is? It does sound like it's the DeviceNet network but I'm also wondering if they could be connecting to the drive via the EtherNet/IP port?

14037 is a port 14 (DeviceLogix) Error 37 NET IO TIMEOUT

But is it being accessed via port 13 (embedded Embedded/IP) I wonder?

This technote mentions certain issues with this error and the EtherNet/IP network...

ID: QA15803 | Access Levels: Everyone
PowerFlex 753/755 drive: Fault 37 [Net I/O Timeout]

No harm find out, I suppose?

Regards,
George

The Scanning Device is a 1756 DNB

I'm connecting to the drive by passing through the backplane

The DeviceNet Network has 36 Nodes populated on it. All VFDS mostly 1336 Plus II, a couple of 70s 700s and 755s

I have not assessed the Network for signal problems.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for the clarification on the possibility of the embedded EtherNet/IP port.

How are you connecting to the backplane from your programming machine? I'm still curious to know the full path here so every aspect can be considered.

Regards,
George

Ok, thanks for the clarification on the possibility of the embedded EtherNet/IP port.

How are you connecting to the backplane from your programming machine? I'm still curious to know the full path here so every aspect can be considered.

Regards,
George

Ethernet through Programming terminal through the backplane to the DNB out to the PF755 using either CCW or Drive Executive

...And to clarify further, when you say "Ethernet through Programming terminal through the backplane" do you mean your programmer is plugged directly into an Ethernet module in the same rack as the 1756-DNB. That is, you are not going through any network appliances first, such as an Ethernet switch/router, etc.?

Also, what firmware revision is the PowerFlex 755 at?

G.