Connecting SLC 5-04 PLC to Ethernet

Samn265

I need to read a few tags from SLC 5-04 via Ethernet, but I don't want to spend a lot of money to this. What is the best economical way to do it?

Get a AN-X2-AB-DHRIO from ProSoft for ~$2K. Run blue hose from it's DH+ port to the AN-X2-AB-DHRIO and then an Ethernet cable to the AN-X2-AB-DHRIO as well. Then your path to the SLC 5/04 is the AN-X2-AB-DHRIO.

Simplest would be to change out to a 5/05.

The SLC 5/04 has a channel 0 serial port which can be configured for DF1 protocol. If it's free, you can connect this to a 1761-NET-ENI, which is a DF1 to Ethernet/IP protocol converter.

Just be aware of the limitations of using an ENI if your SLC is communicating large amounts of data.

This setup would cost you hundreds instead of thousands.

Regards
George

I was on my phone earlier on. Here are some links...

1761-NET-ENI - User Manual

46413 - SLC processor: Support both Ethernet and Data Highway Plus
Access Level: TechConnect

37979 - Configuring 1761-NET-ENI to SLC 500
Access Level: TechConnect

Regards,
George

Get a AN-X2-AB-DHRIO from ProSoft for ~$2K. Run blue hose from it's DH+ port to the AN-X2-AB-DHRIO and then an Ethernet cable to the AN-X2-AB-DHRIO as well. Then your path to the SLC 5/04 is the AN-X2-AB-DHRIO.

X2, this method has worked well for me too.

I just did it with a 5/03. Just be sure and use AP00 cable
Ya, I wanted to do the same thing with the 5/03 I currently have hooked up using DH485 with the 1761-NET-AIC to a panelview. I just want to get some ethernet practice and my mojo flowing again. But not at that price for the module. Yikes!

SoftPLC sells a gateway from DH+ to Ethernet for 1/2 the cost of the ProSoft. I just saw in their latest newsletter that they are running a promo through March 2015 with special discounts.

A SLC-5/05 is not inexpensive unless you buy a used one.

- for connect from DH+ port of CPU to this module, just need simple 2 wire cable? or also need special cable?
- for read tags from Ethernet with this module, is it require particular setting in CPU or no, just connect this module and use it?
thanks.