Procidia HMI on Windows XP linked to CompactLogix

dmned64

At the outset, a caveat…the following inquiry is a tad absurd but it is made at the customer’s behest.

I have a customer with a Windows XP machine running the Siemens, or Iconics, Procidia HMI graphics software. This setup is currently communicating with several Modbus devices via a Modbus OPC-based link. The customer has asked to integrate a new Allen-Bradley CompactLogix PLC into this HMI. Any new Rockwell Software program or driver I attempt to install will, undoubtedly, be incompatible with the Windows XP operating system. I wonder if an older version of RSLinx or RSLinx Lite configured with OPC would provide the link between the Procidia software and the CompactLogix. The PLC is running v31 firmware.

Again the scheme has many downsides, not the least of which is the Windows XP OS. The customer has been and will again be advised of the risks associated with this idea.

I’m not looking for advisability on this plan but only whether it is even possible to pull off.