Recipe data from SAP

xzen

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have a shared Access recipe database for our networked production machines. The data is used both for automatic and guided setup via HMI computers (PCs and panels) connected to different equipment (PLCs, printers etc.) in our factory.

The data input come from different sources. Some data were inherited from older systems, others manually input. Our problem or challange is to get consistent data. So the management wants to have only one dynamic data source – SAP.

I’m familiar with the Microsoft environment, and have basically myself built our current recipe system.

The recipe database has one main table. Some of the fields in this main table in turn relates to sub-tables.

We make different kind of products (product groups). Not all data (fields) are relevant for all products or machines. This is easily masked out in Access or any other usable database tools.

My problem is I can’t figure out a rational way of organizing the recipe data in SAP. We use the SAP Material Number as key. By my understanding the recipe values should be stored as some kind of material properties in SAP Material Master. But the structure of the SAP Material Master is fixed and do not allow any additional fields or related tables. The SAP database seems almost inaccessible to me.

It would be nice to hear from anyone of you who has successfully integrated SAP as source for recipe data.