Recovering IP Addresses from RS Linx after a laptop crash

Good Evening ,

After a laptop crash a few weeks ago, I was able to recover the hard drive and put the contents on a external drive. My question is , is there a way , or a file that I can put into my reinstalled RS Linx , to recover all the IP Addresses , and drivers so that I do not have to re-enter them one by one again ?

Thanks in advance ,

There is a backup and restore utility for RSLinx - but unless your restored files contain a backup file created using that utility, I'd say your'e stuck with doing it the long way.

Perhaps now is a good time to start using that utility :)

Just to add to ASF comments. If you have another device with RSLinx configured on it you can backup it up and use that file to restore yours. These files are not unique to the device.

Consider investing in a VM. Back that up weekly to an external disk / USB.

New laptop or new hdd, back up and running within 30 mins.

Just to add to ASF comments. If you have another device with RSLinx configured on it you can backup it up and use that file to restore yours. These files are not unique to the device.

An excellent point, I had not thought of that! I tip my metaphorical hat to you!

Although - just a thought - does this work if you were to back up on a newer version of RSLinx, and try to restore on an older one? I'm not all that familiar with the compatibility matrix for RSLinx, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the newest versions don't support XP any more. So if the OP has the newest version on a W7/W8/W10 machine and has to restore it to an older version on XP, I wouldn't go betting the farm that it would work. Nothing to lose by trying, of course!