OT - Reduce Picture File Size

Bob O

What software do you use to reduce the file size of say picture taken with your smartphone?
I download FastStone and it appears to work well.
Original size 3.04 MB

Converted size 32.2 KB

Thanks,
Bob O.

After downloading to my PC, I use Paint. Easy and free. On my phone I haven't felt the need so far other than to adjust the size before taking the picture.

I have been using Irfanview for the past few years, lots of features , the best is that it's free.

I use SNIPPING TOOL and PAINT for most of my quick and dirty stuff. I can recommend GIMP as a free Photoshop alternative.

Photoscape is excellent for minor editing on PC. Great tools for reducing, cropping, screen capture, adding notes/bubbles.

I just did that a couple minutes ago.

Android phone photo -> share to Google Drive.

Back to my PC, download from Google Drive to project folder.

Open with Paint.Net.

Image -> Resize. Enter width in inches, keep W/H ratio.

Save As, rename with _small.jpg at the end.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, maybe with the onboard camera app on the phone or a Google resource elsewhere.

But half the time I also need to crop and add lines and arrows and highlights, so Paint.Net is my go-to tool.

I still use FastStone Capture instead of the Windows 7 Snip Tool for some purposes; it's ability to auto-scroll a window and capture the whole thing often comes in handy.

If you want quick and dirty, with no other software, I just email the photo to myself. It asks me whether I want to send the photo small, medium, large, or actual size - and tells me the resulting file size for each.

I also use Faststone, you can batch resize with different filters and adjust compression level for JPEGs.

getpaint.net

It's better than MS Paint. It is my go to freeware for photo and screenshot editing, annotation. Has many photoshop style features with a fraction of the learning curve.

You can adjust the compression, save as many different file types, resize, crop, about anything you'd need is in there.

Thanks all.
I use Paint.net to mark-up pictures but I when I found this FastStone I liked that I could batch a file of photos in no time. I just did 35 pictures in ~ 20sec and the folder size when from 94 MB to 7 MB.
I haven't played with any of other options yet.

Haven't fooled w/ smartphone photos, but for other things, I paste screenshots into Paint, save as *.jpg. I open jpg w/ Microsoft Photo Manager (shows as Microsoft Office 2010 in Win7) and crop & compress there. If e-mail'ing, you can paste directly into the body of an Outlook e-mail, highlight to get the Picture tools and crop/compress there. I think that loads Picture Manager in the background.

+1 for the emailing method.
I just select all the photos in the folder and click to send them by email. It then gives me new sizes depending on whether I want them compressed to a small/med/large size.
When it then opens the email for me to write I just copy the attached piccies back to my computer. I find it a really quick and simple way to do it and the compression is great to.

If I need to do any touching up or want something a bit fancier (i.e. cropping first to ensure I maximise the photo quality) then I use Paint Shop Pro. :)

I think most people here are talking about applications in a computer.

For android which is what I use, is an app called Photo Resizer.
You can also go to settings on your camera, and change the quality which will decrease your size as well.

I imagine there are also aftermarket apps that can take good pictures with low file size, but I usually bulk rezise photos in microsoft picture image viewer, but I updated my work laptop to microsoft office 2016 and it is no longer there. Fast stone is also another good tool I use a lot for screenshots, screencasts, and resizing pics.