You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old June 23rd, 2005, 08:14 PM   #1
BoxerBrats
United States

Smile PLC control VFD

I am curious about networking VFD into the PLC. I have seen this on other jobs and know it is possible.

I just finished a job where I used a AD 105 plc, and a allen bradley VFD. I was thinking afterwards if there was maybe a way i could have maybe just networkd to the plc this way it could communicate, not use digital , and analog outputs for control to the vfd.

I dont know if this makes sense, but if anyone knows wat i am talking about, and have any answers thanks

this site is more fun than the time the hogs ate my little brother
Old June 23rd, 2005, 10:06 PM   #2
Lancie1
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Joe,

I have seen AB VFD ads that show how to do this, and I have seen a few examples. I think the AB VFD's can communicate via RS485 or Ethernet protocol. This might be a difficult to do with an Automaiton Direct DL-105, the low end of AD PLC's. I don't think that it will have the proper communications networking ability.
Old June 24th, 2005, 05:47 AM   #3
jstolaruk
United States

I used a AB PowerFlex 4 a couple of weeks ago and it had quite a few communication options. Devicenet, Ethernet, and Profibus were a couple of them.
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:25 AM   #4
LJBMatt
United States

I've done a lot of networked VFD's over Devicenet for AB and Siemens VFDs to a Logix 5000 Dnet scanner. AB has an armor start package that works very well and is coming out with an Armor Start VFD package with Ethernet/IP protocol. These work great on distributed systems like conveyors or large robotic cells.
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:43 AM   #5
Unregistered

I use the powerflex drives quite a lot, we tend to use devicenet when we network them.
I have used profibus to network siemems drives too.
cclink to network mitsi drives

they all work pretty well
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:52 AM   #6
bwheat
United States

I networked about 30 Siemens drives in a plant back in 1998. Heads up Terry Woods.... Used TI-545 PLC's and Profibus DP. Most of the I/O was remote. Put ET200M I/O in the MCC's for starter control and ran the profibus to the drives installed in the MCC's. Start/stop and speed command to the drives was sent over profibus. Only hard wiring to the drive was the E-Stop. Saved some money on the installation but you have more money in hardware. Made for a clean install though.
Old June 24th, 2005, 08:54 AM   #7
Unregistered

abt query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerBrats
I am curious about networking VFD into the PLC. I have seen this on other jobs and know it is possible.

I just finished a job where I used a AD 105 plc, and a allen bradley VFD. I was thinking afterwards if there was maybe a way i could have maybe just networkd to the plc this way it could communicate, not use digital , and analog outputs for control to the vfd.

I dont know if this makes sense, but if anyone knows wat i am talking about, and have any answers thanks

hi , this is parag here.
i am a application engg working for the pinnacle industrial controls pvt lts, mumbai,india. i have worked with the same project which u r talking abt .i have done the plc(delta) communication with the VFD(delta) through the modbus protocol. now a days modbus is nothing . u have to just check ur plcs communication protocol which should be same as of vfds protocol. then u have to first set the baudrate & communication add. thats it. ur VFD then will be on network which u r looking for.
if u have any query u can contact me through the mail.

regards,
parag(application engg.)
u_parag2001@yahoo.com
Old June 24th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #8
Leadfoot
United States

My company builds large HP VFD packages using PROFI bus to communicate with both S7 and OMRON PLC's.

Most VFD manuals now have the parameters in the programming manual to properly address them to the PLC.

Using a network to have a PLC control a VFD has been around over 10 years. It is becoming more prevalent as more train drivers accept the technology. That or the old farts retire and the young guns fresh out of school where they learned this "NEW" stuff are getting listened to more often.
Old July 5th, 2005, 08:38 AM   #9
Amr Hassan
Egypt

if u are using siemens products , the drives come with uss protocol and u can add the profibus

u can link the drives to s7200 using uss protocol , there is an example application available on site
i think this is the least exapnsive way to dot it
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #10
scottezell
United States

Talking powerflex on ethernet

I have installed as many as 31 drives on a single network, all controlled from a clxs processor. The hardest part was the fact that it takes time to set the comm-e cards with the addresses. Definately the way to go
Scott
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #11
DUNK
United States

We have 200+ AB drives here and 90% of them are controlled with device net. Each drive has its own contactor for the power leads and we have these contactors controlled with the E-Stop circuit. Works very well.
Old May 16th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #12
Eddie Willers
United States

I had a close look at Rockwell's new ControlLogix v16 "premiere drive integration" recently. When you define a drive in the I/O tree of RSLogix 5000 on ControlNet or EtherNet/IP, the software creates the associated control tags (start, stop, jog, reference, feedback, and "data-linked" parameters) automatically.

RSLogix 5000 even includes an embedded version of the A-B drive configuration software, so you can monitor and edit drive parameters, even run through setup wizards, right in the same application as you're writing logic.

Now, if only they had the same thing on DeviceNet ! I was told they're working on a new DeviceNet scanner that can bridge connections instead of having a manually-configured scanlist.
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #13
MartB
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Willers
Now, if only they had the same thing on DeviceNet ! I was told they're working on a new DeviceNet scanner that can bridge connections instead of having a manually-configured scanlist.

That WOULD be awesome!

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity!
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum