1. siemens S7 400 series
2. ABB AC800

I want to comunicate between these two PLC through two optical fibre cables

What will be the requirment:

1. Hardware requirement in both PLC systems,
2. Software requirement in both PLC system
3. How to join two optical fibre cables

Your Early response will be appreciated

Profibus is probably the easiest solution.

You can setup the S7-400 as master and the AC800 as slave,
or the S7-400 as slave and the AC800 as master,
or both S7-400 and AC800 are masters and a DP/DP coupler exchanges the data in between.

Neither S7-400 nor AC800 have optical Profibus modules that plug straight into the PLC. But you can place an "Optical Bus terminal" at both ends (Siemens 6GK1500-3AA00).

Thank You Mr. JesperMp,

Yes I agreed with you that Profibus is the easiest solution. But do to centain resons we have to use optical fibre cable.

Siemens PLC is installed in a machine which is mobile and that machine is already supplied with optical fibre cable.

on the other end our main plant PLC system is ABB AC800. we have to coulpe both PLC through optical fibre cable for interface signals.

Now using which device will I couple / join optical fibre cable one end coming from Siemens PLC and other end is coming from ABB PLC. ( note I can not take optical fibre cable directly to two plc i have to have in between joint.)
I think I have to use Optical fibre to ethernet converter or profibus converter ( Optical Bus Terminator ) to connect optical fibre to both PLC. What will be your opinion? guide me about ABB Hardware modules.

what will be the software requirement in both PLC to exchange data?

Regards

Asim

The Profibus - optical bus terminal - fiber - optical bus terminal - Profibus solution sounds as the "simplest" to me. Adding ethernet will mean more steps in the connection from S7 to ABB.

Dont know much about ABB. If the ABB has to be master, then a GSD file for the S7 CPU has to be imported into the profibus configuration of the ABB master. In S7 you setup the interface work as slave, and define i/o data areas.

The process is the opposite if S7 is master and ABB is slave.

Hi

I agree with JesperMP.Neither S7-400 nor AC800 have optical Profibus modules that plug straight into the PLC. Use this "Optical Bus terminal" to connect FO, pleaced near to each device - PLCs and ABB. About ABB AC800 use NPBA-12 PROFIBUS Adapter Module (http://library.abb.com/global/scot/scot204.nsf/veritydisplay/3b95525012b8ab01c1256f930055d395/$File/DCINF_NPBA-12_C.pdf ). Of cource to connect to this "Optical Bus terminal" you will use "simple" profibus cable, but maybe only 25 cm. long.
And ABB AC800 let it be slave to S7-400. (y)

regards

Last edited: