ProfiNet to another bus

illibilli

Hi folks.

I have a conveyor system that is running on a Micro850. the controller has
Ethernet, rs485 and Devicenet running on it to communicate with various devices.

We are adding an automatic pallet wrapper to the conveyor line. The wrapper is running on PLC SIEMENS S7-1215 with ProfiNet.

I need to tie in the wrapper to the existing conveyor system, so I need to be able to write and read simple sensor data
e.g. is the wrapper empty or is there a pallet on the conveyor after the wrapper.

Is there some easy to implement device to interact with the profinet on the wrapper to those protocols on the Micro850.

hopefully this is well enough described. I am located in europe

Red lion do converters
Any bus do converters,

There are a few to choose from.

Does the micro 850 have modbus tcp? Not overly clued up on them, If so, could probably use that to communicate direct to the S7.

Yes the Micro850 has modbus tcp

THe wrapper manifacturer only says in the specs

"he standard SIEMENS S7-1200 PLC with incorporated profinet, ensures that this machine will easily be integrated with your packaging "

Yes the Micro850 has modbus tcp

THe wrapper manifacturer only says in the specs

"he standard SIEMENS S7-1200 PLC with incorporated profinet, ensures that this machine will easily be integrated with your packaging "

Then they likely are planning on interfacing with existing machines with digital/analogue hardwired signals. Only likely need a start/stop enable and a speed reference.

Have you discussed this with them?

The siemens S7- 1200 has modbus tcp.

Hej illibilli

Hmm, the reference to "with incorporated profinet, ensures that this machine will easily be integrated with your packaging" sounds as if they expect to interface with other equipment via Profinet. It could be either by one side being Profinet Controller and the other side Profinet Device. Or it could be via a PN/PN coupler.

If that is so, you cannot just address any I/O or PLC variable in the wrapper via Profinet. You and the wrapper manufacturer have to aggree on the interface and what data is to be exchanged.

Whatever you do, before you decide anything let alone buy anything contact the wrapper manufacturer and negotiate a solution.
With AB Micro800 and Siemens S7-1500 I think the most straightforward way to exchange data is via Modbus TCP.

Tak for det Jesper.

"If that is so, you cannot just address any I/O or PLC variable in the wrapper via Profinet"

I thought so much, I´m just guessing that they have some standard parameters to interact with regarding to intergrading to existing factory line.

I´ll call the manifacturer today and see what they have to say regarding this.

Just trying to be a little bit more prepared. I do appriciate your guys responds, it does help me alot. I´m usually more in machine design, rather than PLC programmer.