Ab 1771-ife-c

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys,

I need to replace a Allen bradley 1771-IFE-C Rev D01 analog input card as it died. It’s been a while working on AB PLC 5, do the revision numbers on the card have to match in order to change it out? There is no program copy for this PLC and I don’t have RSLogix 5, so I have to be able to change this card out without being able to go online and change any revision numbers. I do remember to change the jumpers in the card to match the existing cards set up.

Any help is much appreciated on this one.

as far as I know - the numbers won't make any difference ...

but ...

when you're setting the internal jumpers make sure that you're going from a series C - to a series C ...

basic idea ... the jumpers for series A and series B are the same - but the series C has a completely different layout ...

as far as I know - the numbers won't make any difference ...

but ...

when you're setting the internal jumpers make sure that you're going from a series C - to a series C ...

basic idea ... the jumpers for series A and series B are the same - but the series C has a completely different layout ...

Thanks Ron, I would be replacing with the same series of card (series C). I just want to make sure theres no conflict with the revision as I'm unable to access the ladder logic.

If the program includes the necessary BTW instruction to set up the channel scaling, it should just fire right up and work. The only thing that can go wrong (assuming the new card is okay and the jumpers are set right) would be if the program is not configured to send the configuration data to the card. Most PLC-5 programs are set up with block transfers running all the time, others are set up to write that data on power up or soon there after, but I have run across one or two where that BTW was tied to a HMI button or some other means to trigger it. Also, many programs are designed to work with the default configuration in the card and any necessary scaling is done with the results of that default data (12 bit BCD if I recall correctly).

Not trying to worry you, just things to be aware of if things do go as planned.

Is it not also the case with these cards that you have to power down the rack to change over?
So if you are on the same rack as the PLC, that should force a BTW (if it is programmed that way...)