RX3i and Siemens Drives

mdan

Hello,

Does anyone have experience integrating RX3i PLCs and Siemens drives? I'm trying to use this line of GE PLCs and a variety of the new Siemens G series drives over Profinet. I've had success controlling them via analog reference, but not with Ethernet so far.

Has anyone done this before, and have a general "How-To"?

Thank you!

I've never worked with Siemens but have setup several other vendors over Profinet with a RX3i. You have to import the drive's GSDML file into the Profinet Controller in your machine edition project. Most vendors have several different options for this. You will need to review the drive's specific documentation for which option best suits your application.

From there its a memory map setup via the PNC and GSDML file. I've done more ABB than anything else and they have to have parameters mapped to Profinet in the drive also, as well as the Profinet section has to be enabled.

Everything you need to know should be in the Profinet Communications Manual for the drive.

Hope this helps.

Exactly which Siemens drive is it ?
Type nos please.

Notice that current Siemens drives usually has a Power Module (PM) and a Control Unit (CU). The Control Unit decides which protocols are available.
Profinet is the most commonly used, but other protocols are also possible, depending on the Control Unit.

Exactly which Siemens drive is it ?
Type nos please.

Notice that current Siemens drives usually has a Power Module (PM) and a Control Unit (CU). The Control Unit decides which protocols are available.
Profinet is the most commonly used, but other protocols are also possible, depending on the Control Unit.

I've never worked with Siemens but have setup several other vendors over Profinet with a RX3i. You have to import the drive's GSDML file into the Profinet Controller in your machine edition project. Most vendors have several different options for this. You will need to review the drive's specific documentation for which option best suits your application.

From there its a memory map setup via the PNC and GSDML file. I've done more ABB than anything else and they have to have parameters mapped to Profinet in the drive also, as well as the Profinet section has to be enabled.

Everything you need to know should be in the Profinet Communications Manual for the drive.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply! That does help, but I did import the GSDs already from Siemens. I was able to import my specific model but when using he discovery tool I don't see anything.

Generally speaking the G120 series. I've tried with a couple different drives in that series.

Thanks for the reply! That does help, but I did import the GSDs already from Siemens. I was able to import my specific model but when using he discovery tool I don't see anything.

Generally speaking the G120 series. I've tried with a couple different drives in that series.

The GSDML should not matter with "seeing" the device in Discovery. To use the discovery tool within PME the computer must be:

Connected to the Profinet Network
In the same subnet as the Profinet Network
The correct Ethernet interface must be selected in the Discovery Tool