Communication Siemens S7 1200 <-> Robot over EtherNet/IP

Petr_Broza

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out, if it's possible to communicate with 3rd party device (robot) over EtherNet/IP. We're trying to prove, that device can communicate over EtherNet/IP, but with Siemens PLC. Also I can not use Open User Communication (TCON communication), but have to use CIP protocol (I'm not sure, if I'm saying it right).

Thanks for ideas

S7 1200, TIA V15.1, UR E-series robot

Why Ethernet/IP? I believe Universal supports Profinet which is native to the S7. Unless you're interfacing with other EIP devices that's the route I would go.

Thanks guys. I know UR supports Profinet, but we're trying to prove, that it's also works over EtherNet/IP. I'm just not sure, if it's possible without any gateway..

Siemens PLCs don't support EIP, although some of the drives/HMIs/etc do. Just like AB PLCs don't support Profinet.

You'll need a gateway if you want it to work.

Siemens PLCs don't support EIP, although some of the drives/HMIs/etc do. Just like AB PLCs don't support Profinet.
Just for correctness sake, you can actually connect a Siemens S7-1200 or S7-1500 to Ethernet/IP.
edit: Wrong. You can connect a Siemens S7-1200 or S7-1500 to a ControlLogix and exchange data, but it wont be Ethernet/IP.

There are even library blocks for this purpose:
https://support.industry.siemens.co...ol-system-(clx-glx-controller)?dti=0&lc=en-US
(thanks to JRW in this thread: http://plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=118178).

But before you get your hopes up, I believe the TIA library blocks are for "messaging" not for cyclical I/O. So if the robot can communicate by Ethernet/IP messaging then it could be possible, otherwise not.

edit: After studying it a little bit, I can see that on the ControlLogix side open "socket" communication is used. This is not the same as messaging over Ethernet/IP. So forget what I wrote above. I believe it is NOT possible to connect a Siemens S7-1200 to an Ethernet/IP device.

Last edited: