PLC2 to PLC5

zqew05

Many thanks to Ron Beaufort for answering a PM for me. I am following hsi advise to post this on the forum. There is a PLC2 trainer on ebay being sold. I'm a mechanic with not a whole lot of background in electrical wiring, so I was thinking of just changing out the I/O cards and the PLC processor with PLC5 1785 card. This gets me to have a PLC5 trainer wired to buttons and lights on the old PLC2. I will follow Ron's advise, but would welcome anyone else's. BELOW IS THE RESPONSE PM FROM RON:

First of all ... you MIGHT be able to use the PLC2 trainer with your 1771 I/O cards ... there are (were?) several different “generations” of PLC2 processors ... not all models are compatible with all new hardware ... you’d have to get the exact catalog number and series number, etc. to be sure ...

the next thing is ... would this be the best way to help your nephew out? ... what I mean is: the PLC2 is OLD technology ... yes, there are some systems out there that are still being used today ... and just MAYBE there are some in your nephew’s region ... but I’ll be honest with you – I’ve never personally seen even ONE of these PLC2 things in operation ... so if I were going to spend ANY amount of money on a trainer it would NOT be for a PLC2 ... the same amount of cash would go a LOT further if spent on an SLC-500 system ... or even on a MicroLogix setup ... for one very important consideration, what is your nephew going to use for software to program this PLC2 controller? ... plus, if I remember correctly, the PLC2 requires a special cable for communication and programming ...

and so (based on the information that you’ve given me so far) my advice is save the money for the PLC2 and invest it more wisely ... your nephew needs to be working on learning skills that he’ll be able to market in the future ... yes, he could learn SOMETHING about PLCs from a PLC2 system ... but I’m afraid that most prospective employers would not be too impressed with the “old technology” knowledge that the PLC2 would provide ...

finally ... you might consider posting the contents of your original Private Message on the forum ... maybe some of the other members would have different ideas ... or maybe they could suggest other resources ... you’re welcome to cut and paste this message too if you think it would help to get things started ...

it’s good to hear from you again ... I hope you’re doing well ... may God continue to bless us all ...

2-B
Best regards, ----+----] [----+----
| |
Ron | 2-B |
+----]/[----+

Ron mentioned the processor compatability but there is also a chassis compatability issue. The PLC-5 processors will not fit in an older series chassis (series A I believe). These had a power supply connector at the bottom of slot 0 that sticks out too far for a PLC-5 to plug in all the way.

grs said...

there is also a chassis compatability issue. The PLC-5 processors will not fit in an older series chassis (series A I believe). These had a power supply connector at the bottom of slot 0 that sticks out too far for a PLC-5 to plug in all the way

Not exactly. The PLC-5 will work just fine in the old chassis. You will have to use a slot power-supply. Power-supply placement is restricted to certain slots. I always try to put the power-supply in the 1st I/O slot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
zqew05 quoted Ron as saying...

First of all ... you MIGHT be able to use the PLC2 trainer with your 1771 I/O cards

I know of no 1771/PLC-5 I/O module compatibility issues. I've never been lucky enough to get the 1771-IE to work with a PLC-5 however.

Please fill us in if there are specific compatibility issues.

Regardless, I like Ron's idea about going to something more modern. For the cost of the PLC-5 sofware you could probably buy an entire SLC system. There is also the $100 training package from Rockwell which includes a micro-logix + software. Here's a link to it:

http://domino.automation.rockwell.c...58E900B761C1378585256C4B0079D566?OpenDocument

Good Luck,

(8{)} ( .)

(Yosi)

Thanks to y'all. For a non-electrical/non-electronics/non-programmer type like me, it sure is nice to come to this forum and ask information. It sure is a pleasure to just to read the postings, it made me understand PLC's a little bit more at a time...

I followed Ron's advice to buy a SLC instead. Someone bought the PLC2 trainer for $54.80.... The Micrologix option is also nice and cheap....

HUNKERING DOWN FOR HURRICANE IVAN BEFORE IT HITS US TONITE IN THE GULF COAST. GOT MY FAMILY MEMENTOES AND A SLC TRAINER WRAPPED IN PLASTIC. AND UH... MY GUN TO SCARE AWAY THE LOOTERS. THERE'S ONLY THREE FAMILIES STAYING BEHIND TO WATCH OVER OUR ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOOD. GOD BLESS US ALL...

Last edited: