.L5X files (Help me understand them)

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
OK, so am wanting to move 100+ tags into a new UDT.

I figured the easiest way to do this is to

copy and paste the tags into excel.

Then create a new UDT export that to .L5X
Then using the format for the <member> XML tags
transform the tag names and types and insert them into the members tag. So

Code:
   JugA_CamStartPulse   BOOL
gets transformed to
Code:
    _CamStartPulse   BOOL
I stripped off the prefix. of "JugA"
and then to
<Member Name="_CamStartPulse" DataType="_CamStartPulse" Dimension="0" Radix="Decimal" Hidden="false" ExternalAccess="Read/Write"/>
However in my play around I have found this curious
in the first 2 lines of the <members> tag there are these lines
Code:
<Member Name="ZZZZZZZZZZTest1" DataType="SINT" Dimension="0" Radix="Decimal" Hidden="true" ExternalAccess="Read/Write"/>
<Member Name="theBOOL" DataType="BIT" Dimension="0" Radix="Decimal" Hidden="false" Target="ZZZZZZZZZZTest1" BitNumber="0" ExternalAccess="Read/Write"/>
What is the first row for? Is it a place holder for the name of the Instance of the UDT??? and why does the BIT/BOOL underneath it have a Target="ZZZZZZZZZZTest1" attribute?

Last edited:
dmroeder I'm glad you linked that, I was about to go ahead and retype something very similar, almost as if I have played with these before!

I was about to type something up too, then I thought, someone has probably already done this... sure enough!