Virtual machines

I respectfully disagree.

That's no real debate on whether those license are legit or not. If cost is an issue, why not get pirated license of Rockwell license, it would save one thousand of $. Why not copy OEM PLC programming to a ton of machines? Again, tens of thousand of $ saved.
My point was you were basing your argument on the validity of $10 licence based on the fact it cost $10.

The company that made that software gave it away for free.

Those pirated licences aren't validated by Rockwell servers, which is why they are 'pirated'. If Microsoft says that your software license is OK, I'm not sure what else you expect to validate your concerns that it isn't really OK. My 2C.

My point was you were basing your argument on the validity of $10 licence based on the fact it cost $10.

The company that made that software gave it away for free.

Those pirated licences aren't validated by Rockwell servers, which is why they are 'pirated'. If Microsoft says that your software license is OK, I'm not sure what else you expect to validate your concerns that it isn't really OK. My 2C.

Fact: those cheap ebay license are not legit.

Fact: Microsoft never gave away free Win 10 license. there are a small time frame where licensed Win 7 PC can upgrade for free.

If either of these are not true, I'll change my opinion accordingly.

Something I said?

If i'm wrong on something, kindly point it out. Today, tomorrow, or next week. Facts doesn't change, understanding and opinion does.

So far everything that you have written in this thread seems to be sound and prudent advice.

Got a ten dollar head, buy a ten dollar helmet.

Microsoft servers will not authenticate a license if it isn't a valid key. I'm not sure where the cheap licenses come from, or how they are so cheap, but they are valid keys until Microsoft disables them.

Microsoft servers will not authenticate a license if it isn't a valid key. I'm not sure where the cheap licenses come from, or how they are so cheap, but they are valid keys until Microsoft disables them.
Exactly. When is the last time you saw a Microsoft alert about fake licences on Ebay. For those of you not familiar with the platform, they will yank listings in a flash on legitimate complaints. Try to sell a fake Coach bag and see what happens.

The real question is, what is the price of a Windows 10 license? Do I know, do you? I guess if a person paid $169.00 for a copy, you can say "That's the only legitimate price!!!!". Well, it's a fact you paid $169.00, the rest is conjecture....

Start off with a clean VM of Windows 7 or 10, 7 is going bye bye, so maybe go with 10.

Once you have this clean VM up and running. Copy it, install Siemens, copy it install Rockwell etc.... then copy those to a backup. That way if you hose one of your VM's all you have to do is copy over the back up.

That defeats one advantage of VM's... run 7, xp, or older, in the VM, so the software that depends on it can play nicely... keep the vNIC isolated from the internet...

VMWare also has a free program to install on a machine you want to make a VM. I used it for my server and worked great.

Also if you can use Windows 10 32 or 64 bit you can buy the Windows 10 LTSC license for less then $5 each on eBay and Amazon. It's Windows 10 without all the junk you don't want anyway.

I have run most all Rockwell stuff on Windows 10 LTSC 32 bit.

I run all of my design software on Linux. It does quite well. VM's for whatever software I can't run natively. Works like a charm. Not to mention that VMWare on linux has shared RAM, which is a HUGE benefit in my opinion.